Serious Bummer, My ADF ate my Oto

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

California Roll

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
I was cleaning my tank today and moving some thing around and adding a couple of plants when I noticed that my ADF looked bloated and seemed to have some difficulties. Upon further examination I noticed the tail of my oto peeking out from his mouth. He continued to struggle but after awhile just kind of lay there. I am very bummed for the oto but also concerned about the frog. Can he really digest the oto. He is a big frog and the oto was small but still. I am also concerned for the future. Can I get another oto and write this off as a freak occurance? Assuming the frog lives is he a threat to the other fish in the tank. They are bigger and I have never seen him go after any othem except to protect his food. I had been out for 2 days so I am sure he was hungry. Anybody have experience with this sort of thing?

The other fish in the tank are a Honey Gourami, 2 platies and a glofish.

gabrie30

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I hope its not an african clawed frog, which will eventually eat your whole tank. I have never heard of an ADF even being fast enough to catch something like an oto.

California Roll

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
He has webbed front feet so i dont think he is a clawed frog. In fact the place I got him from had both so I think they knew the difference. Lately he has gotten very big and fat. When I first put him in the tank when he was little he got another oto in his mouth but it was too big for him so this has precedence. I have had him since Nov/December timeframe. He is about 2 inches long.

Animallove

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Long Island, New York
Sounds like an african clawed frog. Check its hands, if they are webbed together then it is an african dwarf frog, if it is not then it is an african clawed frogs. African clawed frogs get pretty big, and will eventually eat many of your fish. About him/her eating the oto I am not too sure, hopefully someone else has some more infor on that.

**Edit: since he does have webbed feet then he is mostl likely an african dwarf frog. He could probally only catch the oto because it was low down and near it, oto's are normally pretty fast, so thats pretty strange. Its more likely that it was could sick and weak.

California Roll

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
The oto had been acting pretty strange. He had stayed in 1 place for several days so you could be right about that. When I chaged the water and moced things around he has less water to move in and it was cloudy so the frog could sneak up on him. I am still wondering if the frog can survive the meal. I guess I will find out Monday when I go back to my office.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i find it very unusual to hear of an adf succesfully eating a fish...they are usually way to slow to catch them. My opinion is that either the oto was ill, or you have an acf. do you have a pic of the frog?

California Roll

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
nope is saw him alive earlier and you could tell he was still fighting in the frogs stomach. He is at my office tank so I will try and get a picture of him Monday.

California Roll

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Mystery solved he is a ACF

When he was smaller I could have sworn I saw webbed front feet but looking at him today floating at the top of the tank still trying to digest my oto I can see the claws. I think he may have sustained some damage from the meal because he has been floating at the surface all day. I keep checking to see if he is alive and he will swim around occasionally.

I called the LFS that sold him to me and they will exchange. I am hoping to talk them into another oto. The question I have is will my heavily planted eclipse 6 gallon with 2 platies, 2 mystery snails, a honey gourami and a glofish support two adfs instead of 1 acf? I figure as big as he has become that the bio load would be the same and that way my new frog would have a friend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store