Bottom Feeders Keep Dying...Help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platyprincess

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2008
I have a 25g tall freshwater aquarium, which is right now only housing 3 healthy platies and a plant, kept at 24 degrees celsius. Whisper 30 power filter, Whisper 4 air pump with a bubble wall along the back. Right now I do a 25% water change every second week using a gravel vacuum - when I had more fish I did it weekly. I use Stresscoat and Stresszyme to treat the water.

Whenever I try to introduce any kind of cory, pleco, or oto they die within a day. I just don't understand it! The last pleco I tried died within hours. I'm afraid to try anymore until I figure out what's so terribly wrong!

Can anyone help? :help:

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Have you been testing the water for ammonia and nitrates? even with only a few fish in a weekly change is always best. I would be interested in knowing your results of the tests so we can determine whats up.

bellazeus

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Australia
I've always had the same problem.. can keep any other fish for years... add a bottom dweller and they never last.

I lost my Bna couple of days ago.. yet have no problem with all my other fish and my tank has been set up for years.

platyprincess

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2008
I float the bag for 20 mins or so to acclimate new additions.

I just tested my water

GH: 120ppm

KH: 0ppm

pH: 6

NO2: 0ppm

NO3: 20ppm

The low pH must be shocking them to death. :(

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I don't think its the PH, cause my 29 gallon tank houses cories and is around 6.2.

Might be where your buying them from?
Are you buying them in shoals?
Are they getting food?

Before purchasing check to see for any illnesses. Extreme skinniness, redden gills.

platyprincess

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2008
I've been buying from PetSmart, and only one or two at a time. My only other option is WalMart.

As far as food, I fed a few sinking shrimp pellets every day with the normal flakes. There is more than enough algae accumulated for even a pleco to live on for a week!

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The only cories I've had a problem with after purchase were panda cories. I have some albino cories which I've had for ages. Recently I switched them to another tank in which the water was warmer. They didn't do well there but since switching them back to cooler water they're happy again. What I was told with the pandas and other sensitive species is to build them up for about a month. Feed protein foods often. Haven't tried it yet on pandas but I've been doing it with other types of fish which I've added and it does make a difference. All I can suggest is to take a good look at the fish before buying. Are the barbels healthy? Is it active? Pick what you think are the largest and healthiest ones. Research what temp the species you get need. Acclimate slowly. What I do is pour the contents of the bag into a milk jug which I use only for fish. I take out a little water and add a little tank water. I do this slowly before netting out the fish and adding to the tank. Make sure there are hiding spots to offer security. I use pepso food on all of my new additions to clean them out. I'll do this for 2-3 days as one of their feeds. Cories like to be in groups of at least 5. Extra feeds of high protein foods. Keep up the water changes especially with the extra feeding.

About otos. They arrive at the store starved. They're algae eaters so if you don't have algae in your tanks make sure to supply them with algae wafers, spirulina etc.... Research what the pleco you get needs. Some need vegetables in their diet and some driftwood. Not all plecos - cories - catfish have the same requirements. It depends on the species you get. Start with the hardier species and go from there.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I had 2 one died and the other lasted about 5 months. I found he was so lonely and he passed away to. when I got my last crew I bought 5 together. they sleep and eat together and its the cutes thing I have seen in a long time. there acually a family. 1 is a different cory as he only had 4 and there for I had to purchase another. some times he hangs with the 4 and some times he is off on his own . there all doing wonderful. When getting them,try to get more then 3. so they can play together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store