Safe Chichlids for community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

Just wanted to request for some advice on which are a few safe chichlids that I can keep in my community tank. By safe I mean the ones that wont fight or injure or kill other fishes...

Kindly advice.

I saw these 2" Brichardis in a shop here... they were just too beautiful, but I didnt buy them as I had doubts regarding their behaviour. Can I keep brichardis and frontosas in a community setup ?

Kindly guide me friends...
Regards
Kush

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
neither are good community tank specimens. Frontosa can do well with other quiet tangayikan species, but require large tanks - 120 gallon plus, and 240 for a colony of 4 - 6. brichardi are best kept in a species set-up.

'community' cichlids include rams, kribensis, Angel, apistogramma species; but they are cichlids, so you can never guarantee an indivdual specimen's behaviour will not be slightly or much mor or less aggressive.

Last edited:

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...Can I keep brichardis and frontosas in a community setup ?
In regards to the frontosa's, these are a fairly large african cichlid species (tending to max out at 12-inches or more), and are nocturnal piscavores by nature. They'd be capable of eating smaller tank mates (including other lake tanganyikan species like cyp's). When considering a fairly large frontosa, a "smaller tank mate" could be considered as fish up to 4-inches in length.

Precisely what type of "community" are you considering setting up, a community of cichlids, or mostly tropical community fish? Brichardi's (neolamprologus brichardi) can be extremely aggressive.

Also, how large is your tank?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Other community types of cichlids include Bolivian rams, A. thomasai (African Butterfly Cichlid or Dwarf Jewel - it has several trade names), keyhole cichlids, Apistograma borelli, and festivum. However, as mentioned above, personalities will vary greatly, but in general these are pretty good community fish.

No one has mentioned this about brichardi...but they're not inherently mean - it's just when they're breeding, and they breed like rabbits. They form a colony where the parents and several generations of their offspring will live together in harmony...and driving off all the other fish in the tank. They're very good at getting rid of others if they feel the territory is theirs.

Eric

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i would go with rams, but not blue there too sensitive, i have one gold and one bolivan in my 20 long they do just fine

here are the bolivan and then the gold

SSPX0013.JPG

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
here is the gold ram

SSPX0016.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com