New Balloon Gold Ram - DEAD !!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
:help: I recently just finished setting up my new 20g Long Tank which I have already started planting it heavily ( rotola, hydro difformis, ludiwigia red) and have a nice piece of driftwood and about 2" of eco complete. Currently running two filters ( one new , one from established tank ) but have only one 75W stealth heater.

I began adding fish after 4 days of the initial setup after doing a water test with API liquid test - reading 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 5 Nitrate. Heater is set at 86 Degrees (placed on left side of tank) therometer (placed on right side of tank) reads 78 Degrees. Yesterday afternoon I moved my young Male Juvenile Blue Ram (1.5"), Bolivian Ram (1.5"), 1 Balloon Blue Ram (.75"), 1 Balloon Gold Ram (.75") [ It had a pink belly when found dead ], 2 Trilli Cory Cats (.75") into the tank and initially I did a 30 min aclimation then slowly let one by one get use to the tank. Initially all the fish chose a spot in the tank to hide and barely moved. After 15 mins, the cories started to begin the search and digging through the substrate for food - but there was no food so i threw in a sinking wafer - which kept them company for awhile. But all other rams were hiding or just next to the heater - but the tank wasn't really cold. (78Deg on the right side when heater was set to 86)

The Rams all look quite stressed (most had black stripes on their sides) and end fin looked a little squished but their side fins were flapping very very fast. except the balloon gold ram (which only had a pink belly) but was swimming normally. I kept the light off since I didnt want to add more stress to them. This morning I woke up early before work and did a head count hoping they all made it. After 30 minutes of searching; couldn't find the gold ram - I thought one of the fish ate it. but there was no way since they are all the same size. Instead I found it between one of the plant leaves DEAD! I took it out of the tank and tried to look at it as if I was doing an autopsy - but looked perfectly fine; no blackness on body, fins looked real good nice pink and blue speckles, belly was pink , but DEAD. :help: I wasn't really sure what could have done it; so did another water test - and readings were the same. I added fish only after 4 days bc Im thinking my tank suddenly cycled with the plants. Hopefully when I come home tonight my rams will be swimming instead of all hiding between wood and plants :headshake2:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you may not have done anything wrong. these rams appear to be young (given the lengths of them)
however, ballon rams are bred for the 'peculiar' body shape. this in turn may backfire in the breeding process and it may just be a problem from the breeding.

the tank temp should be checked. if the rams are huddling near the heater they may be too cool. just because the heater is set for 86 does not mean it is that temp.

keep track of the water parameters.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
you probably didn't do anything wrong. rams are pretty sensitive to begin with. and IME balloon rams are even more sensitive than the regular breed of rams.

The pink belly simply told you it was a female.

Give them some time to get comfortable in their new surroundings.

i would actually get another thermometer to make sure that its the heater with the bad reading, and get the tank to around 80-82F depending on what else u planned to put in the tank.

I actually just bought 4 Gold Rams to put in my new 20 gallon breeding tank and i coaxed them out of hiding with some frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

BOL to ya.

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
I've tested it and my readings were constant at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrate so I thought I was cycled ... in a real short time probably bc I had my filter from est tank and some old media. so I started putting in fish. Not really sure to be honest, I did some research online - and I could have experienced the silent cycle -- from the plants? I could be wrong.

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Not sure that you had any ammonia in there to start the cycle...

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
did you add an ammonia source when you set up the tank?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
tank was reading as cycled, but perhaps not for the fish bioload. perhaps you had something of a spike in parameters after adding fish which knocked off what is known to be a sensitive fish.

as already said keep testing water to make sure...don't add anything until you are sure the bacterial colonies have caught up with the present stock.

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
Thanks all, I added two new plants, money wort and water sprite - fed a small portion of frozen brine shrimp 3 hours later all the fish are active. However the GBR and Bolivian keeps ramming their lips together and sort of demanding their territories. There is still plenty of room left in the tank since I also moved the Balloon Blue Ram to a different tank and now he is much happier with his old friends ( Dwarf Gourami and albino cories).

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
It look like I didnt really do anything wrong. Its been about 4 days and now the Rams are doing well; the cories are the most active for now but I'm sure time will catch up and they will all be happy in my new tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store