Goldfish has lost it's fin!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

burtandgloria

Registered Member
Mar 4, 2008
I came home from work today and noticed that my smaller goldfish was swimming at a slight angle, when I had a closer look it appears that she has either damaged it or had almost half bitten off by the other goldfish. She seems ok, is that normal behaviour (if the other fish bit her) and will she be ok with only one fin? I presume it doesn't grow back...:headshake2:

It's the front fin near the side of her head, not sure what it's called, is it the petral?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Oh and i'm new so hello to everyone!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You might want to quarantine the little guy for a couple of weeks and keep his water very clean. I doubt the other goldfish bit it off (no teeth). It could have either been caught in a crevice and torn when the goldfish struggled to get free or you may have fin rot. Either way it's a good idea to watch it closely so it heals properly.

IKeepPacu

AC Members
Feb 19, 2008
i wouldent worry about the fish being ok with missing fins, once you fix the cause of it, if need be.

i have a comet goldie with no fins at all on his left side, sumpy ones on his right, and he's almost the fattest one in the tank. he has no issue swimming around or getting to the food at all.

burtandgloria

Registered Member
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys, it really doesn't look like fin rot though, it's almost like a clean 'cut' so i presume it was the other fish... Anyway i'll give the tank a thorough clean and see how she go's, she seems quite happy at the moment. It was just a bit of a shock to see a stump! :)

SachasMum

Registered Member
Mar 29, 2008
Our Calico Fantail got "Nemo'd" too! :)

When we first got our fancy about 2 months ago (before we had any clue on how to be fishy parents) we had an underwater filter and she somehow managed to move the gravel and get under it. Needless to say she got sucked up into the filter! It was horrifying!! Luckily we found her in time and saved her - but she lost an "arm."

She has a little "stump" now and I am hoping it grows back. She really seems indifferent about the whole thing. Though she did change her personality dramatically after that. She was very shy and I know this sounds corny, but I think she "sensed" our trauma and concern for her during the incident. She is now very happy and never hides anymore. (Perhaps she realizes she nearly ended up "sleeping with the fishes?" and it just grateful to be alive! :>) LOL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store