40 br big enough for discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
would a 65g (36L by 18W by I think 21H) be big enough for 6 discus, raised from about 2" in size? tank will be bare save for 2 sponge filters and some potted plants.

are their any other fast growing fish that would be cheaper and could be kept in a group (3 to each side, for an experiment) in a 40br to 65g?

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
Firemouth cichlids

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
thats an idea, but I am thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to use something less aggressive. other ideas I came up with are
convicts
kribensis
panda dwarf cichlid
rams
severum

non cichlid fish
molly or swordtail fry
goldfish (would probably keep them in rubbermiad containers and keep 2-3 per container)
gold, pearl or opaline gourami

keep in mind this experiment will take place over 1.5-2 months and their will need to be noticable growth in that time period. I am planning to feed artima, brine shrimp, black worms, blood worms, depending on the size of the fish they might also be fed guppy fry. prepared food will be flakes and algae wafers (if they need vegitable matter in their diet).

most likely tank will be a 20 long, but I MAY be able to get my parents to say yes to a 40-55g (it would end up being used as a sump for my SW system I plan to upgrade). I really like the idea of goldfish (thye would start out as very small babies) and I would use a rubbermaid tank to house 3 (it would be a 20-50g rubbermaid per 3 fish).

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
convicts are more agressive than the firemouth

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
what about my other choices? I will probably be able to do a 40br+ size tank, or might just do a rubbermaid container.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
How many experiments are you running? Do you hae plans on properly housing the fish afterwards?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I would not consider Discus as a 'cheaper' cichlid..matter of fact you may find quite the opposite. they tend to be a bir in the higher priced side of cichlids.

probably a less expensive option at about a fraction of the cost would be angels.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
don't use discus, you cannot keep them properly with your limitations.

convicts and (to a lesser degree) kribs will be aggressive, especially in tank under 50g. both species have strong breeding drives which casue them to become very territorial when they pair up. convicts pair up at 2 inches.

severums get bigger than discus and grow at a similar (slow) rate. 8+ for females, 10+ for males.

do not use goldfish. a minimum for one is at least 20-30 gallons. they are very messy and get large, at least 8inches for fancies and 12+ for commons. they do not belong in your little rubbermaid buckets.

why don't you go talk to mom and dad and find out EXACTLY what size tank you will be able to have. it's a little difficult to help you choose fish for your experiement when you still don't know where you are going to put them.

I MAY be able to get my parents to say yes to a 40-55g (it would end up being used as a sump for my SW system I plan to upgrade).
so if the tank you are going to use ends up as a sump for your SW setup, where are the fish going?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I dont plan to keep the fish afterwards, they will be found new homes, I will DEF. be using a 40 br.

I am torn between angelfish and firemouths, with firemouths being the fish I am leaning towards. ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store