Four Stiped Damsel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
A coworker made a brief foray into the salty world, but like many she abandoned this once all her expensive fish died off rather quickly. She asked if I wanted her liverock which I took and set up in an empty 30 gallon I had but wasn't using. It's been up and running for a few months now sans livestock.

The other day at the fish store there was a rather nice looking Four Stripe Damselfish (Dascyllus melanurus) which someone had returned to the store. Okay maybe these fish are agressive and maybe it's a bit mundane for some of your tastes but I liked him so I bought him. If he ends up the sole occupant of the tank I can live with that. However I'm wondering if there's any other fish I might be able to put in a 30 gallon with this one. More four stripes is not really an option as this one is a bit larger than what is typically offered for sale so I figure he would decimate any smaller four stripes. Any suggestions (please don't suggest returning the damsel)?

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
The only fish I had that could deal with the damsels was my coral beauty. If the damsels tried to mess with her, she just chased them around.
I wouldn't suggest getting another damsel though, when I had more than one all they did was beat each other up and ended up killing each other off.
I just got rid of my last damsel (blue) because he was messing with everyone in my 55gallon (other than coral beauty)

ChangDriX

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
515 Iowa
i wouldn't spend the money on an expensive fish, fish are like people some don't fit the norm. I have a blue damsel in my 55 gallon with a tang, clarkii, false perc, reef chromis, friedmenti, and a goby and he doesn't mess with anyone and he was the first fish I put in the tank....i dunno good luck.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
some psuedochromis species would probably be tough enough to make it, they're probably the second most scrappy fish in the hobby next to damsels... some say they're the 1st. tangs also come to mind, though your tank is too small for one.

Last edited:

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I had a humbug damse (Dascyllus aruanus) and I've got to admit I returned it due to the restrictions of adding other fish. They tend to do better in a moderately aggressive tank with fises such as eels, triggerfishes, larger dottybacks, angelfishes and puffers. But you're a bit restricted with you tank. Keep the fish, get a bigger tank:grinyes:

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Okay here's the parameters:

1. The fish is not going back
2. Given that he was returned to the LFS we can assume he does not have a mellow personanlity.
3. Bigger tank is not an option.
4. The tanks is 30 gallons so fish requiring more space than that are out.

Anybody got anymore suggestions on what might work?

If nothing else goes in here I'm fine with that. This is just a little challenge nibbling at my brain. So far suggested possabiities that I have not yet discounted are pseudochromis or a toby.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Okay here's the parameters:

1. The fish is not going back
2. Given that he was returned to the LFS we can assume he does not have a mellow personanlity.
3. Bigger tank is not an option.
4. The tanks is 30 gallons so fish requiring more space than that are out.

Anybody got anymore suggestions on what might work?

If nothing else goes in here I'm fine with that. This is just a little challenge nibbling at my brain. So far suggested possabiities that I have not yet discounted are pseudochromis or a toby.
those both sound like great options to me. i'd go ahead and get either of those fish you listed.... make sure to get a psudeo if you want inverts (other than small shrimp).

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
really depends on each fish as they are all different as far as temperament goes IMO but i have a four stripe, blue domino, dotty back, clown goby ,clown fish ,green chromis. all together and the 4 stripe is the least aggressive in a 29 i would say a blue or domino damsel of about the same size should be ok or maybe one of each but i am no expert

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store