Can Ich (White Spot) kill a fish ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends...

I was just wondering if Ich can be fatal to fishes ? Actually 2 of my Rope Fishes have Ich now and one is severe (if I'm not wrong), the white spots look raised and almost like minute ulcers...

Will the disease kill my fish ? My tank's temp is 33 C and I've added salt... will this help my fish fight back and is Ich generally fatal ?

The temp was 33C when I introduced the fish - can it be possible that ich survived this high temp and attacked the fish after they were introduced to the tank ?

Kindly advice... just wanted to know for knowledge sake...
Thanks !
Kush

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
yes, try a treatment right away!!! I always look at my fish thru my magnifier so i can get up close every day and see whats going on , that and I can not see them other wise well :( but I also get a clear eye view of whats going on before it gets to far. Treat right away! i used ick attack, its all natural and did not harm my fish or tank. I did theis with salt treatment but I am assuming you can not.
others here can help you with a good med to use :) good luck

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
ich will not kill a fish directly, per se.

It does, however, weaken them to extreme levels, to where the slightest chemical imbalance or other illness will kill them.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada

It does, however, weaken them to extreme levels, to where the slightest chemical imbalance or other illness will kill them.
And also usually results in a bacterial infection to the wounds that they create.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
agree with JdoubleR

ich is a parasite..generally the parasite does not benefit if the host dies..host dies and the parasite can potentially die(if there are no other hosts)

but secondary infections usually can happen and are usually are the culprit.

Ich will weaken the host.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
What other fish are there in the tank? By the time you can see white spots really clearly, the ich is pretty bad. So probably all your other fish have it too, just watch out for them and keep your water parameters perfect as well as keep up with the salt. Others are correct they will not die directly from the parasite, but if it doesn't get better they will die from some secondary infection.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC

I thought that severe infestations of ich could kill the host by basically clogging the gills and preventing respiratory function.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I thought that severe infestations of ich could kill the host by basically clogging the gills and preventing respiratory function.
Heavy infections cause the skin to slough off. Normally a parasite does indeed not want to kill its host, and in the wild ich doesn't. It does in aquaria though, because in the enclosed space the same fish keep on getting reinfected over and over - this is not a situation the ich parasite has evolved to cope with.

Untreated, in aquaria, ich has a very high mortality rate. To a first approximation, 100%.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store