What to put in this tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richled13

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
Hello everyone this is my first post. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I have a 29/30 gallon (not exactly sure, I bought it off craigslist as an upgrade to my 10 gallon, I believe its like 30 inches by 18 by 12 or so). I currently have some (5) tiger barbs in there which cycled the tank, on the recommendation of an employee at Petco as a precursor to some more peaceful cichlids. I know the tank is too small for a lot of the big/super aggressive ones.

What kind of cichlids can I get for this tank? I've been looking at a firemouth, would that work? They seem to be less aggressive and I've read they don't usually get bigger than 4 or 5 inches which I would think would fit nicely in my aquarium (hopefully). If not that, what can I get?

Also, I live in Malden, Massachusetts which has limited me so far to Petco and Petsmart for fish options (and neither have keyhole or kribensis cichlids which I think would work well!) within the surrounding towns, does anyone know of a better store in that area? I'm drowning in student loans and my girlfriend will kill me if I pay $40 to ship a fish to the house :)

One last question. My water is soft but slightly alkaline (7.6-7.8 range). Should I try to match hardness or pH to my fish? Which one is more important?

Thanks!

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
:welcome:

Firemouths, Acaras, Key Holes or Rams would work in your tank and no don't try to change your water hardness or ph.

Richled13

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks very much. Just a quick clarification though: I didn't mean that I'd try to change the hardness or pH. I just wanted to know that if I am trying to decide on a fish, and one type of fish likes soft water but acidic water, and the other likes hard water and alkaline water, and all other things being equal, which one will thrive more in my soft, 7.6-7.8 pH?

mwelin

AC Members
Nov 18, 2007
Hi Neighbor! The Fish Nook in Acton and Tropic Isle in Framingham (this is my favorite) are good MA stores to try out. There is one in Quincy, Lovely Pets, but I've not been there yet.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
In general if you have hard water it is usually on the alkalinic side and vice versa. That is how it is in the wild too. I would try to pick fish that like whichever type of water you have. If your water is soft and acidic go with South American or West African cichlids. If your water is hard and alkalinic do with African rift lake cichlids (I can highly recommend Tanganyikans) or Central Americans.

Richled13

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
I appreciate the help, Deb2, but as I mentioned my water is soft but alkaline. That is how it comes to me in the tap. It must be treated with something. So I don't have the option of really matching it to anything because soft and alkaline water doesn't really show up in the wild, as you mentioned. Therefore, the issue is whether I can fit the fish to pH or to hardness. I can only choose one, not both. Which is more important for the fish to match up well with?

Also, I am still curious if there is a consensus on the firemouth in my tank. Is that going to be ok? Can I put two in there, or just one?

Last edited:

Richled13

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks everyone!

Just for curiosity's sake, would a few Bolivian Rams fit alright in the tank?

Richled13

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
Sorry, I meant in lieu of the firemouths. I've seen things saying that the barbs will hurt the rams and that the rams will hurt the barbs, but other things seem to suggest that they will all be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store