Sodium Thiosulfate....read this!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
This might be a little long , but I wanted to post the ordeal I just went through over the last week or so. I was having a problem with a crashing Ph, and when I mean crashing.....from 7.0 after a water change to 5.0 and possibly below almost overnight. Some of you may remember in a thread I posted a few days ago I asked about meds accumulating on the bio-wheel ( white spots ) and having plants soften your water and drop your Ph low, etc. Well I was carring out the prescribed water changes on both my tanks like some suggested on here. I hadn't picked up the coral or tried any dolomite ( plentiful in the Niagara River gorge ) that is found around here to harden the water up and go the natural route yet either. SOMETHING just didnt add up as to why it would drop SO much SO fast.....
I spoke to my old man who is a chemist and a chemical plant manager for 34 years and knows more about that stuff than I care to listen to, but had some wonderful insight. We turned to what I use as a De-chlorinator. I use Jungle ACE , and Kordon NOVAQUA as a conditioner...which looked to me like a Stress Coat kind of product. I remembered reading on here that a lot of the De-chlor/chloramine products use Sodium Thiosulfate to do what they do. We consulted his Merck Index , the chemists "bible" according to my old man and I found exactly what was causing the problem. I was adding TOO MUCH of this product which was causing a reaction with the C02 given off by the plants and the H20 which as an end result was giving me Sulphur Dioxide, Carbonic Acid, HCl among other things...which I don't have time to post right now or remember ( if interest in this post rises , I will gladly post more on it later ) Every syptom I had was due to my putting too much of this in the tank, I'm guessing that both products I used contained it since they both De-chlorinate. Any opinions or questions , PLEASE write back or if anyone has any other ideas , I would love to hear what some of you chemistry guru's have to say!!! Thanks , sorry for the long post.

steviem

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Sodium Thiosulfate is a very common de-chlorinator in the aquarist industry. Double the dosage and it also removes chloramine. It also removes heavy metals. The usual dosage is a capful per 10 gallons.
I have it under pretty good authority that Sodium Thiosulfate when added to water with chloramine will release ammonia. This should not be a problem unless you have sensitive fish.
If you were to add WAY TOO MUCH you might have some of the symptoms you describe, in part because of the other chemicals in the products you use in addition to the Sodium Thiosulfate.
If you have the time, try this experiment. Set aside a good amount of water, at least double your usual water change volume. Dechlorinate it per your usual method. Let it sit overnight (with or without airstone or pump to areate it), and test it for ammo and ph/gh/kh. Repeate with minimum chemicals to remove chloramine, no stress coat or whatever.
A heavily planted tank, or one with a VERY low gh/kh might pull down ph like you describe but I'm skeptical. Keep looking for causes, I don't think you've put your finger on it quite yet.
good luck
:)

Last edited:

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
That's the thing...I was putting in wayyy to much thinking I was following the directions right. On the back of the bottles they list to put in 5ml / 10 gallons of water, or 1 capful per 10 gal. I mistinterpreted and added the amount based on what size tank I had instead of how much water I was changing. I normally would add 2 capfuls ( keep in mind I had the equation backwards ) for my 5 gallon water change, thinking it was for the total amount of the tank contents. At the same ratio I was adding 2 capfuls of the Novaqua as well. So in essense the tank was getting 4 shots per water change. What I should be adding for a 5 gallon water change is 1/2 a capful or 2.5mL of one of those products, period. UNfortuntately I was a victim of marketing.
It was suggested to me that changes of less volume more often were more beneficial and would keep the Ph swings less severe and on a whole would help maintain a steady Ph. So that is what I did, but this was compounding the problem beacause I was OD'ing the tank on this stuff and just adding fuel to the re-actions that were taking place.
I am definitely a beginner at fishkeeping and after losing a couple fish this week, learned a HUGE lesson. I just wanted to point out potential danger...I never really saw anyone ask questions about what would happen if you put too much De-Chlor in there, and they even state onthe back of the Jungle ACE bottle that it can be Safely used up to 3 times the amount recommended on the bottle....although by ratio I definitely topped that. It also disturbed me that I could not find an ingredient listing on either of the bottles, just a number to call with questions. I'm not trying to say that these products are solely responsible either. For a certain chemical reaction to take place there has to be the proper conditions, which appearently my tank had!! This might not be the case for everyone....just a little "experience" I went through and I thought might open up some discussion onthe subject. Thanks for reading...

steve

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hmmm... I use sodium thiosulphate for chlorine, sometimes at double dose (because I add it to each bucket and 1/4 capful sometimes becomes more like 1/2 capful) with no problems.

I will ask my "old man" ;) about your theory as he is a chemist also.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I do 50% water changes on my 55 gal each week, and I condition the water based on the entire volume of water. If I used buckets, I'd treat each bucked before I added the water, but I use the python syphon system, and I just periodically add dechlorinator as I'm re-filling. NEVER had a crash, not even by.2!

My pH is a steady 7.8, and KH is 5.4 (fairly low bufferability, but ok to plant and add CO2). I have used several de-chlors, including: Prime, Stresscoat, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Tap Water Conditioner" (which is really cheaply priced), and Chlor Out.

If you are using a small tank, try the AP Tap Water Conditioner. It is added at 1 drop per gallon, and is dirt cheap for how much water it treats. My old roomate and I have had no problems using it. One thing about it is that it only breaks the chloramine bond (which releases free ammonia) and it may bother sensitive fish. Mine have been fine though!

I suggest keep looking into it! Just to be safe!

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
StevieM,

Sounds like you were using 8 times normal dosage. This is enough to cause some toxic symptoms I would think. Especially if you upped water change frequency using the same formula.

Someone previously posted a 'Why the Hard Questions?' thread. Frankly, this is an example of why. Details, details, solutions to obscure problems always lie in the details. With sufficient detail almost any conundrum can be solved.

Good post, good luck.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Sumpin'fishy,

Any suggestions on how to deal with the 'free ammonia' you mention?
I'd like to find a way to stop killing my otos.

thanks,

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
I just grabbed pops' Merck Index as I thought I would throw down some info from the Sodium Thiosulfate listing that might make things clearer. Keep in mind that I can't do subscripts for reactions either, so bear with me.

( Na S2 O3 ) Sodium Thiosulfate. p.1243 ; 8542

Use : To remove chlorine from solutions according to the equation Na S2 O3 + 8Cl + 5 H20 > ( yields) 2NaHS04 + 8HCl and Na2S203 + 2HCl > (yields) 2NaCl + H2O + S + S02.

OK...great, what does that mean to the layperson??

When Sodium Thiosulfate reacts with Chlorine, by products from the reaction are ( HCl ) Hydrogen Chloride which then reacts with water to form Hydrochloric Acid. Also , other by-products from the reaction between Sodium Thiosulfate and Chlorine are NaCl ( Sodium Chloride , Salt ) Sulfur ( S ) , Sulfur Dioxide ( SO2 ) and additional Water ( H20 ) . The remaining by-product of Sulfur Dioxide ( SO2 ) will then react with Water ( H20) to form H2SO3 or Sufurous Acid which could probably be the source of the slight acidity ( 5.0 ) of my water and the Sulfur smell I had coming from my tanks.

Keep in mind this is a reaction that takes place only if certain elements are in place in the right concentration...if you add Sodium Thio to water if there is little or no Chlorine...you don't have the reaction or you have the possibility a different reaction taking place or it will only take place until the available chlorine is used. This is why I hated chemistry in High School and College!! Too many possibilities!

steve

wetmanNY

AC Members
Stevie, a couple of things.

1. Alkalinity stabilizes pH. Your "carbonate hardness" or "KH" must be low, for the pH to drop. A few tablespoons of aragonite (common marine aquarium "crushed coral" substrate) in a bag in your filter would stabilize your pH.

2. You mentioned a vague sulfur smell, which I think is due to thiols ("mercaptans"). They might be a side-effect of the overdose of thiosulfate (you've already diluted it away with a series of water changes, we figure). But thiols are produced naturally, part of protein decomposing. They oxidize quickly to harmless and odorless sulfate (SO4) if there's plenty of oxygen. So dropping the water level for some extra splash for a while may be all that's needed to take care of those garlicky, stale-oniony, vaguely skunky sulfur-bearing thiols.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store