airstone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

solly

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2008
Hi I am a reasonably new to the world of aquariums and am wondering a few things.
1. What is the benefit of an airstone.
Is it just for the asthetic or does it have another purpose.
I already have a good internal filtration system.
2. How many fish is too many?
My tank is only 23 ltrs I have 2 goldfish but was thinking of getting some snails of something like that.
I would also appreciate any tips or general info.
Thanks looking forward to some wisdom

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
First welcome to fishkeeping.

I second Mgamer. Those little fish you have in the 23 liter tank will grow to be up to 30cm without their tails. Just imagine two fish that size in your little tank. Please return therm to the fish store if you can or buy a larger tank for them. A group of 6-8 white cloud mountain minnows (6cm full grown) would do well in a tank that size and you can add in some snails.

Don't worry a lot of us started out with too many goldfish in too small of a container.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I use airstones whenever I use medications or treatments, to increase aeration. Other than that, I don't use them on a daily basis.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I use airstones whenever I use medications or treatments, to increase aeration. Other than that, I don't use them on a daily basis.
Good point. Some meds such as formalin tend to deprive fish of oxygen so surface agitation is very important. Others like the methylene blue on the other hand aids their respiration so an airstone won't be really necessary there.

wolf13

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
The main purpose of an airstone is to increase surface agitation to promote oxygenation. the actual bubbles do less to exchange oxygen then the surface agitation. If you don't have live plants or surface agitation, you may have oxygen issues. I don't use an airstone per se, but i get the same effect running an airpump through my CO2 diffusor at night due to a fairly heavy plant load (plants use oxygen when not using photosynthesis) and waking up to gasping fish.

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
I use an airstone on one side of my 10 gallon, while my tetra whisper filter is on the other. I just use the airstone to keep the water circulated.

tiffanyfink

Plant Newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Middle of Nowhere
I agree with Mgamer as well. Unless your fish are gasping at the surface the air stone is just there for aesthetic purposes only.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store