& more lighting questions! Got my new used light tonight!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
I got this light from a guy who is well known on my reef club site for being quite the DIYer. Anyway, I've taken this description from his ad: It's an "Odyssea 48" Fixture... ballasts went out so I replaced all ballasts with NEW real ballasts, NEW ignitors, NEW capacitors... MH ballasts in custom slimline remote ballast box with dual cooling fans... NEW T5 Ballast inside the Fixture... 3 power cords on ballast box for individual timers... 2x150w 20,000k HQI bulbs.... 4x39w T5 HO Actinic bulbs..."

So, my questions are:

1. would it be better to have 2 actinic T5s & 2 10K than the current 4 actinics?

2. aren't 20K HQI bulbs really high in the blue spectrum? So would I get better results with 14K or even 10K?

3. The tank looks gorgeous, love that sparkle and dappling effect in the water! However, it seems to be shaded a lot. Is this just a normal MH thing that I will get used to? Or does this maybe have to do with the bulbs as mentioned above? Or should I try going without the egg crates on top? Kindof scared to do that, don't want any jumpers.

4. For right now, the light is up on it's legs on the tank. However, I want to suspend it so that it would be level with our canopy, which we'll remove the "lid" from. That way we have the look of the canopy and the canopy would help to direct the light into the tank more, so it's not spilling out so much. Can you recommend a suspension kit for me that will work with this light and also be safe to use on something attached to the wall because I have high ceilings?

And yes, I do realize that I should have gone with 2x 250s for my tank depth, but this light was better than my PCs and the price was right for our budget.

Thanks in advance!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
Ooo, one more ?!

Can I add individual Tek or Icecap reflectors into my fixture under the bulb?! Cuz, that would rock, right?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
If the bulbs are already 20k, I don't see the actinics doing you too much good. Staggering a couple of daylights wouldn't hurt, as that would give you added intensity. If you can cram the reflectors in properly, by all means, go for it.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks! It makes such an enormous difference, even though it's like, completely blue right now. LOL It's still totally brighter than those PCs! My hubby's out looking for new bulbs. I told him to check Home Depot. Don't know if they can be had there, but thought they might be cheaper than the $60 each my LFS wanted. If not, I'll go to ebay. Told him to get 2 daylight T5s as well.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
No, don't get bulbs at home depot. You need quality bulbs for aquariums.. it makes a difference. Check out hellolights. XM and Hamilton and some of the favs. I would go for 2 10K MHs and a 2 420's/460's actinics.

The 10K MHs will give the most white intense light and you will have nice difference of blues to help out. I like UV brand super actinics for the 420's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store