Sterbai Cory - corkscrew swim??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I just witnessed something pretty irregular.

My sterbai cory all of a sudden started swimming in a corkscrew pattern, and then landed on the gravel and is lying sideways, kind of bent. WIERD!!

I assume he won't make it after such a display. He is less than a week removed from being bought from my LFS, so I should get a refund/exchange. Just thought it was wierd. Anything I should do? I just did a 20% water change with Prime. The water params are normal.

What could it be?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Never witnessed that behavior in my Sterbai or any other fish. Doesn't sound good, though I wouldn't immediately euthanize. Can you isolate it to a QT tank? You may need to treat the entire tank to be safe. Any other symptoms?

ProAquatics

Java craving
Mar 6, 2008
Lake Chabot
Its the death swim!!!

Falina

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland.
I had a batch of corydoras paleatus that did that. Started off with 6 of them and over a period of a litte less than a year all but 1 has done that very same thing and died. They also sort of floated about abit for a few days.

Sorry i can't help save him. I really don't know what was causing it with mine. They all appeared happy and healthy prior to this behavious, params were fine and no other fish affacted.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your wee guy though.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Well, as of this morning he is still alive. He is looking skinny. I put in a little extra food last night so that he might find some. He's swimming around more today, but still comes to rest on the bottom and his spots are looking a bit faded (they always have since I brought him home).

dreadboy113

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich. UK
Sorry to hear that. Maybe just bad stock from lfs. Never seen a fish corkscrew like that. I think plenty of water changes to keep the water clean. Just a thought but how are the parameters of the tank.

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I'm sorry to say this but, like others said it isn't usually a good sign. I remember ole panda did this, and she eventually died. I think it might be parasites. Parasites can make fish twitchy like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store