OMG, what is anemone & how do I keep it alive?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
I'm freaking out ya'll! I got this gorgeous creature as an extra with my TBS rocks that came today and I need to know what it is and how to make sure I don't kill it! Based on the color, I can't help but think it might be a RBTA, but surely not as an extra, I mean my gosh! I know he sends Rock Anemones sometimes as hitchhikers, so maybe that's it? Either way, it's really pretty pink and gorgeous. I haven't bought an anemone yet because I'm so scared of killing it and I'd be just devastated because it's one of the creatures I want most to be able to keep! What do I do?! :help::eek3:

One pic with flash and one without. :help:

3.08.08 006.jpg 3.08.08 007.jpg

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Nice hitch hiker. It is what is commonly referred to as a rock or flower anemone. Very easy to care for. They appreciate reasonable light and the occasional feeding of some meaty food. I won't specify the scientific name, as there are actually many more genera available as opposed to just Epicystis (formerly Phymanthus). It could be from any one of those genera.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
WOW... that is some "hitchhiker".

You can bring it to a LFS and maybe pay a small fee for them to hold/house it until your tank is ready if your worried.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
There is lots of good information on wet web media about 'nems.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks guys! I'm feeling a little better about it now. I offered it some food and it immediately grabbed it and sucked it into it's mouth. Now it's fully opened up and has turned itself a little so it's mouth is open and facing the flow. It's SOOOO pretty!

I'm not really worried about my tank being ready, I am sure it is, I've just been too scared to buy one. I ALMOST bought a pink condy yesterday - I mean, it was PIINNNK with beautiful green tips. But, hub wouldn't let me. I've been quite the spendy spenderson lately! :lipssealedsmilie:

I'm picking up a small frogspawn from a local reefer tomorrow and then I'm on strict orders not to even ask about anything for my tank at least until we get our "economy stimulating" check from Uncle Sam this summer. :silly: :lol2:

K, I'm gonna be posting more pics SOON of all the GREAT stuff I got with these rocks!!!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
ooo, really? That's so disappointing. I thought this LFS was SO good, but I hate places that carry animals that have been messed with. Guess that explains the 17 and 12 $ prices on them as opposed to the $8 I usually see in other places. I'm glad the hubby didn't let me get one.

I LOVE my flower nem! It's SO gorgeous and it looks really happy. I've got it on this rock near the top that I've had reserved for an anemone since I set up the tank. :)

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
another pic of it taken later last night after feeding and before lights out:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
ooo, really? That's so disappointing. I thought this LFS was SO good, but I hate places that carry animals that have been messed with. Guess that explains the 17 and 12 $ prices on them as opposed to the $8 I usually see in other places. I'm glad the hubby didn't let me get one.
The one you saw might not have been dyed, but unfortunately the really bright yellow and pinks that some offer have been. You might snap a photo if you're really tempted by it at some point and we should be able to let you know.

Your flower/rock anenome is rather nice. I think PufferPunk has several, you might ask her about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store