Will nipped fins and tails grow back to normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msquared

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
St. Charles, Missouri
One Zebra Danio with a really bad 'tude managed to (I think) kill three other of his kind, and he also definitely chewed up the tails and fins of three Fancy-Tailed Guppies. He is no longer in the tank. Will the Guppies' tails grow back to their old, nice selves?

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Melafix works great for nipped fins too. It depends how far back the zebra nipped the fins. If there's fin left they will grow back but IMO a badly nipped guppy tail won't grow back to it's original beauty.

I got a deal on minnows at Big Als and didn't watch what the guy put in the bag. I got them home and saw that half of them had their tails bitten right back. Some had no tail fin at all. The ones with no tail fin died but I have 2 who had a bit of tail left. The part that was left is healthy and these fish are doing great but the rest of the tail won't come back because it was bitten back too far. One of them looks pretty pathetic but he's happy and swimming with the rest. There has to be a bit of fin there to grow from.

msquared

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
St. Charles, Missouri
They all have a fair amount of fin left. The worst has a big chunk taken out, but it's kind of in the middle (from top to bottom) and the non-bitten part goes all the way back. None are close to being completely gone. So it looks like a pretty good prognosis. They don't have to be perfect - I mainly want them healthy and to not look as chewed up as they do right now. Thanks for the info, folks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store