those little signs on the chain store tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
"These fish are under observation." Sometimes when I go to chain stores I consider it sort of a rescue mission. Every time I go in to this certain store there are these signs on half the tanks.

Honestly I thought for a while they just put the signs when they were busy and didn't want to dip any fish out. They are up all the time.

So yesterday I was looking at some gold barbs and albino barbs. This chain store had barbs on sale this weekend. Anyway, the flipping signs are up again, but they are on the tanks just beneath the tank I was looking at. He says it's the entire section. There was a sign on the other section too, so he was talking about 24 tanks, all that had the sale fish in it. He said they had been battling ick for a few weeks. :eek: He says they share a filtration system. Oh great. Why would you put the sale tags up if you can't sell the fish?? :wall::wall::wall: They had one neon rosy barb left, and it looked sick. :wall::wall::wall: Unbelievable.

Bnoble

Advanced User
Jan 31, 2008
USA,VA
:iagree:

geckobrains

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
you should tell them to just give you the fish for free! So you can rehabilitate them. Theres a pet store here that keeps birds in very poor condition. I tried to get them to give me the birds so I could nurse them, but they just dont care. They shouldnt be able to sell animals if they cant take care of them. A shared filtration system?! That seems absurd. Of coarse you are going to have breakouts!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I know! I know the chain is closer to my house, but I need to steer clear of that place. Their plants are a disaster too.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
It could be worse they could sell you the fish in the other tanks.

The one by me is horrible they don't understand the mars system they have. they will QT only one tank on the system.(that really helps)

They can't keep people there was usually 1 that new something all the time now good luck to the newbs there's no one with a clue.

Worst part the Fish dept is the center piece of the store

Last edited by a moderator:

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
I don't see anythihng wrong with it.

Try running an LFS with individual filtration on each and every tank, and see if you break even, much less make a profit. it's not time or cost effective, and its how the fish are raised from the very beginning.

The people who put the tags up are often under corporate order(meaning its a chain-wide sale), whereas the decision to observe fish is a franchise thing.

At least theyre trying to fix the problem, instead of selling everyone fish that are ill. Theyre just quarantining the fish so we can buy healthy ones, or at least not get our fish all sick.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Shared filtration systems are used in conjunction with UV sterilisers. The return water is sterile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store