Damsel Distress

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
Ok, I have 4 yellow tailed damsels that have been in my tank since day one. They are aggressive toward each other but leave the Gobi's, Ebli Angle, Flame Hawk, and Zebra Eel in piece unless the get to close to their home. Then it is just a quick burst at them and back to their home.

Problem, I moved a recently purchase Maroon Clown about twice their size into the tank yesterday. At first everything seemed ok. About hour later the Clown's fins are torn up and other than swimming at the very top of the tank the Damsels chase it and harass it. So, I netted all the Damsels and placed them in a plastic pet carrier with vented top. They are still in the main tank and i would like to keep them but I do not want them killing the Clown.

Will keeping them quarantined for a few days change their tune or will they go back to harassing him when i let them out? Should I just take them back to the pet store?

thanks

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Clowns and Damsels are from the same family so its recommended to not house them together for aggression issues. Some people get away with a clown and damsel in the same tank but IMO they shouldn't be kept together.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say you can't house the two kinds of anemonefish together.

However, damsels have a tendency to be VERY aggressive. And since they were in the tank first, chances are they'd attack any fish that encroached on their territory.

Personally, I'd give the damsels a ride on the old plumbing superhighway. I'm not a big fan. They're hard to get out of the tank and they like to consider the whole thing their own.

But that's just me.

In this scenario, you could probably let the maroon get a nice chunk of territory for itself and then try releasing them in a week or so. Or you could move all the rocks around and make everyone find a new bit of territory for themselves.

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
Yea I just feel guilty because knowing him they will go to another tank to cycle it and that is not fair. However, I do like the Clown much better. Tough decision, I think if when I get home from work and they are still trying to attack the Clown through the plastic container they will be making a trip back to the LFS. If they appear to not be as aggressive I may wait a couple more days and set them free again and watch closely.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
This is funny, here I am thiking of relocating my maroon clowns in favor of my damsels. The clowns have little to no personality, and my damsels are just so much better to watch.

I have a pair of maroons in my 55, and the damsels in the 29. The stupid maroons just hover in one spot for the most part, whereas the damsels would make good use of the room and rockwork.

I also thought about adding the damsels with the moroons, just to chase the clowns around the tank. LOL, but I want some corals in the 55 so the damsels have to stay in the 29.

I have one yellowtail, and one Velvet Neon damsel. Both just awesome fish.

I had a theory/hunch that if you were to add a smaller clown, smaller than the damsels, it may be OK, as the damsels would not feel the need to defend as much as with the larger clown. That and the smaller fish can get into smaller places, and will be a little more agile.

Definately rearange your rocks before you release the damsels.

i_limantara

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Indonesia
dalmselfish is agreesif fish... they want to keep their home safe from another fish...
i also has 2 yellow tail dalmselfih.. occelaris clown, and tomato clown... so far they didn't fight each other... but i didn't recomended those fish swim in 1 small tank

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
Well they just wouldn't play nice so they went back to the LFS. Now I just hope the Clowns fins all grow back. They are looking very tattered.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Well they just wouldn't play nice so they went back to the LFS. Now I just hope the Clowns fins all grow back. They are looking very tattered.
LOL, I put a small yellow damsel in with my maroons and the next day the fins on the clowns were torn up. I then put the damsel back in his tub. Next day the clowns were tore up worse, seems they were fighting each other.

They heal fast, now they don't fight as rough and almost back to normal. I watched them fight , they would line up nose to tail and just start biting at eachother. The most exciting these clowns ever were roflmao.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store