Good smaller size Cichlids suitable for a community tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<><FunSize><>

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Hey i was wondering what types of small size cichlids are good in a community setting for example Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid or Kribensis or Fairy Cichlid.

i want the smaller size i can have a few diffrent speices in the the tank and i am not sure on is out there with a max size of about 5inches can anyone help any info would be awsome thanks :D
the tank is 90 gal and the others already in there are just a pleco and 2 Bristelnoese plus some coridoris(catfish)

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Some of this depends upon your pH...

However, fairy cichlids are not the best community tank members. In your 90, if you set up a Tanganyikan community it would work fine, or a single one in your tank would work, but a pair can be very aggressive and as their fry multiply they'll form a nice colony of breeding, aggressive fish.

Good choices listed above though (like kribs, angels, etc...), I'll add Nannacara Anomala, Flag cichlids, and Analchromis thomasi to the list.

Eric

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I recommend Bolivian Rams, Microgeophagus Altispinosa ( I think I spelled that right...) They're similar To German Blue Rams, M. Ramirezi, except MUCH more hardy. They'll grow to a maximum of 4", and are peaceful and ideal for nearly any community tank. They aren't very common, but if you can get your hands on them they'll be well worth it, IMO.

Last edited:

<><FunSize><>

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for all the fish u guys listed i have found a few others that would go well to i just hope i can find them at one of the fish shops arounds

Thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store