***breeing double reds***

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazycanuck

The quitter never wins
Mar 10, 2008
ontario,canada
im going to ( in the future ) breed a pair of double red cokatoos in my 10 gallon tank which will be heavily planted and some driftwood as well.

i just wanted to know if anybody else does this.. ive seen articles about putting small ,blue LED lights in the tank at night.. its supposed to replicate moonlight and condition them to spawn

has anybody here done this???

thanks
cory

Zack Wilson

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
Minnesota
I've heard of this too, and I have used them on my dwarf tanks, though not with any particular expectations. If you like the effect, use them. I've actually found one as a lone spot light to be insufficient to provide enough light to help mom protect her fry when predators are present. With multiple lights, I expect they would serve fine. I've seen no noticeable difference in breeding or behavior while using them. As far as I'm concerned, it's probably bunk; most likely propogated by the manufacturers or sellers.

Fact is, you don't need them for cacatuoides anyway. They'll do what comes naturally without the use of special conditioning lights. Just feed them well. As a word of warning though, a 10 is on the small side. I do it, but it's not ideal and I do have to watch aggression more closely, and fry should be removed for growout at an earlier time.

crazycanuck

The quitter never wins
Mar 10, 2008
ontario,canada
yes the pair will be alone in the tank,and i will move the fry to my 30... whenever i do this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store