Inflamed Gills on GSP (poke poke, Pufferpunk)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Green Spotted Puffer troubles!

Water parameters are as follows:
2 GSPs (~1.5" and ~2" beak to tail)
55-Gallon Tank
Ammonia/Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5ppm
pH: 7.8 (going out to buy aragonite substrate once I have my monetary issues straightened out after purchasing the 55-gallon and stand - would you suggest aragonite or anything other than that?)
Specific Gravity: 1.008 (slowly increasing to approximately 1.012 over the next few water changes)
Temperature: 80F
On Cycling: Running an established 30-gallon filter along with a Penguin Bio-Wheel Filter rated for 55-gallon. Will switch out the 30-gallon filter for another 55-gallon filter once it's been running for at least 2-3 weeks.
Lighting: I have one side of the tank's light on, and the other side's off, as to introduce them to a new environment that provided "shade".
Longevity: Had these two little guys for about a little over a month now. Spent about 2 1/2 weeks in a 20-gallon for the time being that I purchased the 55-gallon. Moved them into the 55-gallon and they've been in there for a little over a week.

The Solicitude: I've mentioned in a previous post regarding the breathing out of one gill thing. Well, now it seems as if they BOTH have acquired the habit of breathing from one gill, occasionally "coughing" and switching gills to breathe from. The bigger of the two puffers is still eating like a little piggy as he should, the smaller of the two is on day two without eating. They're pretty lethargic, yet still swimming around the tank. They really do hang out together, no one is bullying anyone - as they are the only two inhabitants. No stress lines. Bellies are a pure white. Eyes are clear. The bigger puffer's belly is rounded (probably from eating) and the smaller is getting rather skinny. They still both have the "fluorescent" patches on their heads. However, I was asked to take a flashlight and look into their gills. I found this: rather pink, inflamed gills with rapid breathing. No visible parasites. First thing that came to mind is gill flukes, no? I wanted to post my opinion and gather others' as to not go out and medicate them when it could be something else. I'm absolutely sure that the move is what caused their stress levels to rocket - what can I do to remedy this situation?

Still cruising the glass. I've got TONS of hiding places for them......and I really don't think I could decorate this tank any more than I have.
How could they still be bored?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Were they in brackish water when you got them, or were they sold in FW and you acclimated them? And have you been feeding them crunchy stuff to keep their beaks down?

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
They were sold as FW, but I acclimated them into the brackish environment.

Been feeding them lots of crunchy foods - clams, snails, krill, shrimp, etc.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I would treat them for gill flukes. Add Melafix to sooth the inflamation. It's always best to PM me to look at a Q, as I don't check this forum every day but I get PM notices in my emails.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Thank for all of the help and suggestions. I truly appreciate it and my puffers thank you as well! =)

Puffers are hanging in there. I noticed one of my puffs rubbing up against plants and the decor, so I treated them. I hate using medications since they're so sensitive to them, but it needed to be done. They act so sickly, but I think that's due to the meds. So far, so good!

They seem to be getting used to their new home. I've noticed that they don't cruise the glass as if they're trying to get out - but rather cruising the bottom of the tank, checking things out. Good sign!!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Pufferpunk - I treated them with Melafix per your suggestion. They're still hangin' in there, but seem extremely sluggish. Swimming around for about 5 minutes and then go straight to the bottom, fade their spots and sit there for 15 minutes. Could that be the meds making them sluggish?

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Melafix will, I believe help with the infection caused by the flukes invading the puffer, however now that I think about this the antibiotics wont kill the flukes as they are parasites. I just reread pufferpunk's reply...

"I would treat them for gill flukes. Add Melafix to sooth the inflamation."

This is a two step... Treat for gill flukes and add melafix to sooth the inflamation.

best of luck!
scott

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store