could my neon tetra be full of eggs? What should i do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ja-hamma

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
I have noticed over the past week that my neons abdomen has grown quite a bit. It looks like it is about to burst. (it hasn't been over fed) Could it be full of eggs, or would this be something else? I am currently treating my tank for ich. I do have a 10 gallong that is empty, should i put my 4 neons in there incase she is full of eggs? I am new to all of this, not quite sure what to do.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I highly doubt your neon is "pregnant" as it is very challenging to get them breeding. They need pristine water, and if you are treating for ich, I doubt it would choose now to breed...how often do you feed? What are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
are the scales sticking out like a pinecone?

Ja-hamma

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
I highly doubt your neon is "pregnant" as it is very challenging to get them breeding. They need pristine water, and if you are treating for ich, I doubt it would choose now to breed...how often do you feed? What are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
I tested my water today and the nitrite and amonia were zero. My PH is 72-74. Not sure about the Nitrate, but took a water sample in to my LFS today and he checked everything and said it was all good. Like I mentioned before, it is not from being over fed. I feed my fish once/day and that is in the morning. I do not feed a lot and it is all eaten in seconds. The neons share a tank with my Mollies. They are really thriving in there other than the ich, but there are no spots on them, as i noticed only a few spots on one of my mollies. The Neon with the enlarged belly is chasing the other neons away from it, it seems healthy enough. Could there be another reason for it's abdomen to swell like this? I will try to get pics, but i'm not sure they will turn out that great.

Ja-hamma

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Pics of my neons.

here are a few pics i just took.

the middle one has the enlarged abdomen. These pics do it no justice.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store