Kribensis! Score!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lymabean

They're after me lucky charms!
Dec 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
I just got a pair of Kribensis (m,f). Not only that, but they were building a nest in the store so they are breeding pair! I also saw another krib in the lfs, but it might be a male too. would this leads to fights if i got him? Also, do these guys eat shrimps or platy fry? the fry are decent sized, but these guys are cichlids..

Zack Wilson

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
Minnesota
Congrats on your new fish! They're a pleasure to watch as a family when they have fry. I've had a line of kribs I've been working with for the last 6 or 7 years and I never get tired of looking at them.

There's no guarantee they won't eat the platy fry, though chances are good if they're well fed they'll leave them for now. However, since you got yourself a pair, be warned that kribs are vigilant parents and aren't above doing some real violence to threatening fish. If they do have young, they may very well try killing off any platies, fry or adults. How large is your aquarium? If it's large enough, there may be enough room for the other fish to avoid the family, but I would say anything under 30 gallons is going to be cramped for more than the kribs. I have a breeding pair in a 30 breeder with a bunch of endlers and they do them no harm, but there are probably over 20 of them of various ages, so it's hard for the kribs to concentrate on any one fish and catch them.

lymabean

Dec 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
i have an opaline gourami (3 inches, and wont grow, due to malnutrition with previous owner), and around 10 or so mollies that are adults. I read that they really arent agressive, except for when they breed. i can get rid of some mollies if i have to, any advice? btw, i have a 20g high.

Zack Wilson

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
Minnesota
That's really quite a few fish for a 20H. Biggest thing is surface area. Like most dwarf cichlids, kribs only really use the bottom area, and since they are male/female they will want to establish a territory. In this case, it's going to be the whole bottom, and anyone invading that area during breeding is going to be attacked. Kribs are not particularly aggressive outside of breeding, but a male and female makes breeding a rather greater likelihood. There wouldn't probably be anything wrong with keeping one or the other in the tank as a special lone fish, but a pair means babies, and that means parental care/protection/aggression. It's part of why we like cichlids.

lymabean

Dec 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
so what do you recommend, get rid of some mollies, cause i can easily within a 3 days.
the gourami might have to stay, but it stays on top mostly, and the mollies also stay there. the platies are going out of my tank as soon as they reach a good size, about an inch.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
congrat's on your new fish, when can we see some pic's?

I just got a pair of Kribensis (m,f). I also saw another krib in the lfs, but it might be a male too. would this leads to fights if i got him? Also, do these guys eat shrimps or platy fry? the fry are decent sized, but these guys are cichlids..
If they breed it would cause a lot of problems. I would leave it at just the pair of kribs.

lymabean

Dec 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
i know, but these guys are cichlids, they can hold their own. Plus like i mentioned above, hes staying this size. his previous owner wanted him to die.... My brother has a nice sized tank, so if i have to, i can move the gourami. also, ill see how it goes, but i can most likely sell my mollies to an lfs..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store