Help danio looks like its going explode!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MIKE D

Cichlid Fanatic
Jul 2, 2007
Maine
sorry to say i had a fish with the same symptoms and it died only a couple days later.mine died of dropsey.does yours look like a pine cone?are all its scales sticking out
Yes. What is dropsey?

YOWZERS! How are the rest of the fish doing? what are the water paramaters and the maintenance routine?
The rest of the fish are great. Paramaters are zero accrost the board. 50 to 75% wc once a week. Ive never had a problem with this tank. last week my cat unpluged the filter when she was playing with a toy. The filter was off for 2 days before I had noticed and the tank was starting to turn green.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I had dropsy once wipe out all my gouramis and bettas in my 20g, it sucks.

I usually leave fish with dropsy alive, until they start showing signs of discomfort. at this point putting some tank water in a bag and putting it in the freezer is probably the bets choice.

MIKE D

Cichlid Fanatic
Jul 2, 2007
Maine
I had dropsy once wipe out all my gouramis and bettas in my 20g, it sucks.

I usually leave fish with dropsy alive, until they start showing signs of discomfort. at this point putting some tank water in a bag and putting it in the freezer is probably the bets choice.
Thanks. I woke up this morning to find him almost dead so I did the cold water thing. I was reading up on it and the site had this for causes
"Cause:
Three main causes for Dropsy have been identified. The over use of salt (NaCl), prolonged exposure to poor water conditions, and improper diet, which lead to a parasitic infection. Other causes include poisoning, internal injuries and cancerous tumors. The swelling is not the disease itself, but rather a symptom, which is caused by a build-up of fluids in the body cavity due to internal organ failure." from http://www.fishdisease.net/diseases/dropsy.php

Now I never add salt to my tank and I do weekly water changes so there is never any poor water conditions. I feed everyone in that tank with tetra brand tropical crisp. should I worry about it moving through my tank and killing my fish?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
just like people get kidney failure for no reason other than genetics, the same can be true of fish.

MIKE D

Cichlid Fanatic
Jul 2, 2007
Maine
I just found a male guppy dead in the tank. he was fine lastnight and now hes dead. He wasnt showing signs of dropsy so Im stumped. I did a 75% water change yesterday and I tested the water this morning and all levels are good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store