Looking for ideas/suggestions, about to redo my 110!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
Okay, we're done (hehehe) spending money for now, on our SW tank. For a while now, we've had the SW and the 110 FW. The 110 has been a mishmash but I've been culling fish we had decided we didn't want. Gave them to a friend who I got into the hobby by giving her my smaller tanks. hehehe

Anyhow, we just picked up a 125 6' tank for the DH and his stinky Oscar. Okay, the fish is amusing, I just tend to like prettier smaller fish better. It's an albino. It and 2 of my Africans will be moving into the 125 asap. We've still got to get an extra Penguin 350 or emp 400 for my 110 before we can move his Eheim Pro over to the 125. Anyway, currently, the 110 houses my 4 diamond tetras, 1 opaline gourami, 2 GBRs, 1 BN Pleco, 1 Chocolate Pleco, 2 Africans, 1 Firemouth, 1 Daffodil Brichardi and the stinky albino Oscar I gave him for Valentines. I KNOW, please don't jump on me about the mix, I've been giving away fish to get it down to the current mix and they have TONS of hiding places in this tank. The Oscar is only a smallish one, and everyone stays in their own areas, except for the brave little tetras, who school together all over the place quite happily. I know it wouldn't work long term, but it's been fine for right now. I actually had baby convicts in there that I'd sortof hoped the Oscar would eat, but he let those suckers grow to crazy proportions until I got tired of the little hussies and tore the tank apart to give them away. It was fun to raise them, but they grow up to be big and ugly (IMHO) and ummm, nonstop amorous.

Okay, so the Oscar and the Africans, possibly including the Firemouth, will be moving into the 125, which we'll be getting a bunch of something to provide lots of hiding places in. The chocolate pleco will either move to the 125 or I'll give it away. I will keep the Daffodil in my tank because I've read it's a pretty peaceful fish.

I will add in 4-6 more diamond tetras. I'd like to add another Gourami or two. Maybe some more Rams. Probably do some plants. Any other pretty fish suggestions? May put in a betta. I had one in with my 28 gallon community, but he went with the tank to live with my friend. He did and is still doing great. I think I'll get 4-6 Panda Cories. A few Otos and Amanos.

Right now we've got a weak 36" fluorescent light in there, but I'm replacing that with a 48" Power Compact 4x 64w fixture. Will I be able to put plants in? If so, will I need CO2, or can I get by with just some Flourish?

I can't wait to get started on this, but it's still going to be at least another week before I can. I'm SO ready to boot that ugly (IMHO) Oscar out of MY tank. LOL

Okay, hopefully ya'll can contain the :mad2: on me for having this rather eclectic mix, but it has never been a permanent plan and no one has suffered. :)

Thanks as usual for all the ideas and advice!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
GBRs do not belong in that mix. They will become lunch as soon as the oscar can fit them in his mouth. The diamond tetras will get eaten as well.

I'm not going to jump on you about the mix, but please don't house african cichlids with central/south american cichlids. They have different water requirements and neither will be healthy or happy together. If you can't keep them in separate tanks with appropriate conditions, then choose one type or the other to keep.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
More oscars....

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
GBRs do not belong in that mix. They will become lunch as soon as the oscar can fit them in his mouth. The diamond tetras will get eaten as well.

This is why he's moving asap. For now though, he can't fit them in and will be moving out in a week or so.

I'm not going to jump on you about the mix, but please don't house african cichlids with central/south american cichlids. They have different water requirements and neither will be healthy or happy together. If you can't keep them in separate tanks with appropriate conditions, then choose one type or the other to keep.
Ugh, I was afraid of that. I'll have to get my husband to choose which ones to keep then. I hope he picks the Africans, they're so much prettier.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
+10 tetras, +4 rams, 12-16 panda cories. No more gouramis, three spots usually fight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store