Moss ball question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eclecticoldsod

eclecticoldsod
I have not had a lot of success with tying some of the exotic moss plants to bog wood and tufa rock in my community tank – it just fades away. Java moss gets far to messy for my liking. But my moss balls remain lush, green, and short stemmed – just what I want from moss.
What keeps it that shape? And what would happen if I cut one into strips, and tied them down to rocks and wood with fishing line, or even pinned them flat onto the gravel?
Has anyone tried that before? I will have a go this weekend, but would appreciate some advice from anyone else who has already tried it – I'm sure someone must have thought of the idea before me...

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
well first of all they are algae if we are talking about the same thing. most people cut them in half to grow more balls.
:iagree:
Otherwise, from what i was recently informed of, it's probably java moss rolled up and sold as a moss ball.

eclecticoldsod

eclecticoldsod
I'm sure the ones we get in the UK are Marimo balls, as they are velvet smooth, which I'm sure would not be the case with Java moss. I have done some further research on them, and they will apparently grow naturally on rocks, so it seems like a viable idea. I will post a picture – if it works. Thanks for the input...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store