Suggestions on starting corals for an SPS tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
My search into putting some type of SPS coral selection together is to be of some rather difficulties due to that the coral I thought to had selected, could or will be of some different SPS coral. Common names isn't the way in a persons search in this, and one cannot follow the data giving at many of those links which offers to sell such corals. So, pretty much now what it will be is that when the time comes to start with SPS corals, I would just have to select from what I can see from that coral link and not look for in what I seen at those rare coral links of such highly brightened color corals.

I spoken to one who will help me in making ready my QT with the 180 that I no wish to buy soft corals to which will or could spread out on other LR and which then will be only a further problem in removing. Also I was thinking of getting me a number of corals that cost less to just help in the age of the tank and then later I would return those corals to the LFS. This to me is only a last solution to the problem.

So, the question is, those who have a SPS reef tank, what corals you brought to start your tank off in its first 6-7 months, prior to buying any SPS corals?
Buddy

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I've received so many different suggestions. I'm wanting to do my 29g in SPS. I asked one source and received this answer, "Millipora or Acroporas..They're hardy and easy to take care". I haven't bought any yet, but that's what one of the sources I went to said.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I wouldn't start with too many Acropora species, honestly. While "milles" can live and do well, they don't keep their color very easily. I suggest green slimers as a first Acropora, but even before that, you should try even easier sps, such as many Montipora, especially plating species and digitate ones. Other good ones to try before Acropora are Pocillopora and Porites (the former being a really tough coral, adapting to many different conditions).

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
you do NOT want to start out with most acropora species for a first sps... I would suggest montipora digitata or montipora capricornis. If you want to try an acro, I would probably suggest acropora yongei.
But for corals before an sps tank, i would do some LPS and some zoos. They look nice, and wont release the toxins into a tank like a giant toadstool or other softies will. You may even decide to end up keeping some of the nicer ones.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
mandy21, I think that a 29 gal sps tank be far less an issue in making so much as a selection being that one wouldn't require as many corals to stock the tank. But then again, im not to start with any major SPS corals until a later date, and most likely, not until after the starting of 2009. Not forget, im too change the 175 MH to 250 watt MH later on. You see people, even that im a old hand in even keeping an aquarium, I first need to as well be sure that the tank will be stable in its elements and water parametres.

I came across a number of suggestions to what I might look at, I will let you all know of these once my search and then finally in what my decision be. I can however say that one coral I had been looking at is the True Red Flower Pot Coral (Goniopora sp.), I figure not to get until the tank is well enough aged for this coral, for four months or so.

fishieness, Im sure that I had made it clear enough that I will have no SPS corals, until all is readiness to maintain them?
Buddy

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'll tell you what I was told and what I tried to start off with because they worked.

Bali Green Slimer (acropora, fast grower, great color)
Montipora Cap, or Digita (again, fast grower)

Once you get comfortable with those I can give you some others to move on to.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Zoa’s/Paly’s – Lots
Yuma: Ricordea and Zoa`s, I plan to have these.

Blastomusa: does not like direct metal halide lighting and should be placed low and perhaps to the side of the aquarium

Micromusa: brain corals, I would get and return to the lfs some time later.

Lobophyllia

Acanthasthrea: acans, I know that I can manage these and they require space between them and other corals as well as being well feed and im thinking that depending on the acans species that often feedings would be required.

Turbinaria: From what little I know of this coral, it can do well under even the 175 MH I have, but is it a coral in which I can go with after the 3rd or 4th month?

Ricordea: Is there a big difference from this coral, to the Yuma?

Scolymia: I ruled this coral out for it mentions nothing that it requires MH.

Sinularia: I no wish to have any leather corals, I done enough with leather corals and brains and so when maintaining soft coral reef tanks.

This is another coral which I selected for having, True Red Flower Pot Coral (Goniopora sp.), I figure not to get until the tank is well enough aged for this coral.

Xenia cuspitularia – True blue: I figure not to get until the tank is well enough aged for this coral.

Favites: Difficulty to say, if I could get those that appear different from the brain it self, its OK
Duncanopsammia axifuga?
Cyphastrea_decadia?
Caulastrea?
Cloves OrangeStripeStargazer?
EuphylliaMushrooms – be careful of selection as these can get out of control and are toxic to SPSs

Bali Green Slimer?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I thought you were asking about "sps" corals. Looks like an lps predominant mixed reef is more your style as opposed to sps--actually, with that list, yours will be mostly lps with a few sps. That many lps will limit a lot of the flow (and space) you'd need for a good number of sps. You kinda need to make a decision. It is ok to mix, but you can't have a ton of both. The way mixed tanks work would essentially be a lot of one type and a few of another (a lot of sps, like mine was/will be and few lps or vice versa). The needs are too different for most of these corals, not to mention the competition.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
fishieness, Im sure that I had made it clear enough that I will have no SPS corals, until all is readiness to maintain them?
Buddy
I was just adding to what amph said.
And I know what you mean, even though the tittle was confusing. hense my second paragraph??

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Is there a difference between these names or there on and the same?
Superman monti
Superman danae

I may soon have some good news, at downunder, they gotten a deposit on the 150 gal tank and the custom stand/canopy I wanted build and im asking $2,000 and I already told Kevin that I cannot cut it anymore then that, for on the tank itself, im losing more then $326.00 with an addition of another $250.00 for the 40 amp box I had put in for this tank. It gives me a total lost of more then $575.00, and not to mention the time, delays in starting either of the tanks, the 180 or 150.

I will not ask of any suggestion at this time for the best lighting to look to get here until it is sold, one cannot get what their not the money for. But on the lighting idea, im in mind for the double edge 250 watt MH and VHO, etc, all the best I could ask for.

Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store