api test kit instructions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
Hey all,

sooooo... I lost my test kit instructions. I have an api test kit with nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and high and low pH. I've looked online to see if I can find them, but I can't seem to find them anywhere...anyone know where I can find them?

Mostly I'm interested in making sure I'm doing the nitrate right.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Ammoina: 8 drops each bottle
Nitrite: 5 drops (only 1 bottle)
Nitrate: 10 drops each bottle
Low PH: 3 drops (only 1 bottle)
High PH: 5 drops (only 1 bottle)

All tests use 5ML's water (1 teaspoon)

What we use to do at the store was cheat a bit to make the tests last longer.
More specifically the Ammonia and Nitrate.

All the tests require 5 ml's (1 teaspoon) of water for the test. We would measure out 2.5 Mil's instead and only use half the amount of drops.

IE: Ammonia takes 8 drops of each bottle (2 bottles) for 5 ml's we would use
2.5 ml's and 4 drops of each bottle. For the Nitrate instead of 10 drops for the 5 ml's we would use 5 drops of each of the 2 bottles for 2.5 ml's of water.

Granted we were doing upwards of 100 tests a day in the store (over 200 tanks) plus customer tests and the average home user will never be remotely close in amount of tests but still. I have 11 tanks running at home now and I use this method and have increased my life span of my kit from 5-6 months to about a year.

One more thing about your test kit. Bottle #2 for the nitrate has to be very well shaken. More so than any other bottle or it will give you a false reading.

This is true especially when new. The mixture tends to settle on the bottom and needs vigorous aggitation if it has been sitting for awhile. I can't count how many customers have had problems with this particular issue

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I wouldn't recommend adjusting the instructions per the manufacturer.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
Thanks all,

Should be good to go now. BTW, my cards do not have the directions on the back, they are just blank.

ScottoMacD

Dec 21, 2001
I wouldn't recommend adjusting the instructions per the manufacturer.
Actually it was our AP rep who suggested that we could do it when the complaint about the cost of testing for the store was brought up.
We originally were asking if they had a larger industrial amounts of each test for the store. Of course he added that we should not tell customers as it will affect our sales.

We did numerous testing in the store with no change in results which showed that he was correct. After all we were dealing with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise plus the supplemental costs if he was wrong.

I do however understand what you are saying and for the most part agree with certain exceptions.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have sent the API folks an e-mail about your recommendation Scott. I am not an expert with the chemistry and while I could see the possibility for it to be okay, I can also see times when it may not. The biggest concern to me would be the lower volume for light reflection to the color charts.

Our testing is only so accurate, without being to pricey, and great accuracy is prohibitive. I wonder if your AP rep is truely a technical type, or just a salesperson.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how and what they respond with, especially if it disagrees with your rep... :)

I will post their response here for all to see. I also recommend everyone to bookmark that link for future reference and helping others. I was surprised not to see the instructions posted at the API site...:eek:

ScottoMacD

Dec 21, 2001
Thanks Bob.

One more thing.
Feel free to tell them to contact me if they so desire so I can go into greater deatil about what was said etc...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store