Question For The Yellow Tang Owners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ltopper

AC Members
Apr 19, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
Hello again.......

Well, after 2 yrs, I made my first impulse buy (sort of). I went to Petco with a friend last night and could not pass up the 5+" Yellow Tang they had for $35. I know my tank is suitable (size/tankmates) but I was so trying to stear clear of tangs for the fear of ich breakouts. But....dummy me came home with him. He looked plump and bright in color but was in a 20 gal, soon to be moved to one of their very smnall displays I was told to make room for the next shipment. He's in my 30 gal Q-tank right now and will remain there for 3 weeks. I didn't bother feeding last night....no lights. This morning...no interest in Nori clipped inside or the garlic soaked frozen brine shrimp (which my tang many years ago loved!). I'm sure it's just stress but is it normal for them not too eat right away...or for a few days? And how many of the yellow tang owners have had ich breakouts? Does any little thing set these guys off and stress them to the max for the ich to take charge?
Hoping to get some help and education from the yellow tang folks here.

Thanks!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
If you QT your fish right, and there's no ich present in your tank, they should never get ich.

I don't believe in that ich dormant in all tanks crap.

Sounds like a good find!

ltopper

AC Members
Apr 19, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
If you QT your fish right, and there's no ich present in your tank, they should never get ich.

I don't believe in that ich dormant in all tanks crap.

Sounds like a good find!

Hi Damon.....

Boy I hope you're right. The tang really was a great deal.....why it was so hard to pass up. I am making a trip to That Pet Place later today and I always pass the yellow tangs (love that bright color!) but knew I'd need a larger one to stand up to my tankmates. But the large ones are alot more $$.
I have the temp "slightly" higher and the SG is "slightly" lower in the Q-tank.
My main tank's temp is generally at 79 degrees and I have the salinity at 1.25.
I heard somewhere that tangs need a lower salinity? Is this true? Should I start lowering the SG in the main tank a few days before I introduce the tang?

Lisa

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i believe tangs are just like any other fish and there is no need to make changes in salinity if u keep corals. as far as ich goes, i think hippos are more ich magnets than yellow tangs, but they do get it if stressed. chances are, your tang will break out, but he maybe won't. in fact, it is posible that even if u QT him, once u'll move him in your main tank, he can get ich. but once again, he might will be just fine. hope he'll start eating. try live adult brine

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
in fact, it is posible that even if u QT him, once u'll move him in your main tank, he can get ich.
Um, no, due to the ich's life cycle, if it doesn't show up in the 3 weeks of quarantine, then there is no ich for the tang to get infected with; the parasite can't survive that long without a host.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree with Dork and Subliminal, unless you introduce the ich parasite to your display tank there will be no way the tang will get it. I too have a yellow tang from the same store. he has been healthy to the point of being almost obese. He shunned nori for the first 2 weeks as well but he definitely eats it now.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
okay, dorkfish. by the rule, yes he shouldn't get ich after QT, but in reality that happens. i'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is a possibility

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
it is a possibility...if you don't QT everything live you put into the tank. But that follows the line of you can't have ich in the tank if you don't introduce it yourself. By the way, I'd personally recommend a 4 week qt for a tang.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
the yellow tang won't need you to lower your SG....just QT it and pop it in and it will be fine their hardy fish and will start eating when settled in.

Bagshaw

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
My tang didnt start eating until the 3rd or 4th day. He'll be fine so long as he has something to graze on in your qt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store