My 125 Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
So I have upgraded again to a 125 all glass tank.

The tank is 72 inches long, 18 inches wide and 23 inches tall. It's an all glass, diamond edge with a built in overflow at the end.

The stand that came with it is a steele stand that the previous owner had custom made. Weighs a ton and don't really care for it so I have ordered a new stand of oak with matching canopy.

The sump is a 48x15x20 acrylic. Has a great LR Rubble chamber at the end where the water comes from the overflow and then goes to the fuge whic is quite large then on to the skimmer/rtrn pump end.

Came with a little giant but I am sealing the end of the sump and installing an insump Eheim 1262 - want to save room in the stand.

The following are just a couple of pics before I cleaned anything...have been cleaning for a while and the sump was the hardest.

This week I am going to be building the stand and getting it all set up.

PLans for the tank are to maintain a reef, just larger. I really like the length becuase I want to create (if possible) a realistic look to the reef 'wall'. The contents of my 70 are going to move over so I will probably break down the 70 and put it on Craigslist...have to see.

This weekend I replaced all the bulkheads and fittings and replace the screen drain (never saw that before) and replaced it with a durso - easy to build.

FTS 125_.jpg Steele Stand.jpg Sump 2.jpg 60 Gallon Sump.jpg

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm really glad you're posting this. After taking a mini tank tour with some of the guys from my club yesterday, they and our guest speaker about have me talked into the 125 as my upgrade. I was thinking 200 but they made some good arguements for the 125.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Man, I wish you were close by, I'd love to have that stand!

Since the overflow is at one end, that tank would be great for 3 sided viewing. Can't wait to see this one come together.

You say your plans for it are a reef. Any chance for a hardcore SPS dominant reef??

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very cool Almondsaz.. Can't wait to see it fill up..

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Man, I wish you were close by, I'd love to have that stand!

Since the overflow is at one end, that tank would be great for 3 sided viewing. Can't wait to see this one come together.

You say your plans for it are a reef. Any chance for a hardcore SPS dominant reef??
Not at just yet. The lighting upgrades will come later...much later. I will have a few found a great Monti Digitata (Green with orange polyps) that will be near the top by the MH. Afraid that will have to do for a while.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I'd love to have the stand too, it is perfect for an in wall build.
It is a great stand, but it is steele...not aluminum. Weighs a ton and takes a few people to move it. I am not going to use it becuase the room it is going into has wood floor and it will certainly dig in. To put a piece of wood or other covering would defeat the look I think.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Very cool Almondsaz.. Can't wait to see it fill up..
Thanks CL. My plan is to have it filled by the weekend. I am trying to get some good ideas for aquascape since I will be buying a lot more rock. For the first time today I read an article/post that said that there are a lot of people that put eggcrate under their rockwork to keep it from the glass. Might try that this time.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I'm really glad you're posting this. After taking a mini tank tour with some of the guys from my club yesterday, they and our guest speaker about have me talked into the 125 as my upgrade. I was thinking 200 but they made some good arguements for the 125.
A friend has a 210 he is selling, but it is acrylic. And I have really liked glass. The 125 is going to be a fun size I think. Was concerned about the overflow being at one end of the tank but I have enough with the Tunze PHs to keep the flow up and no dead spots. I found a cabinet maker on ebay of all places. The stand/canopy look great. He builds them out of oak (Unfinished) and then sends them to you. All you need is a screwdriver and your finishing materials and your set. I will post the build of that as well in this thread.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Thanks CL. My plan is to have it filled by the weekend. I am trying to get some good ideas for aquascape since I will be buying a lot more rock. For the first time today I read an article/post that said that there are a lot of people that put eggcrate under their rockwork to keep it from the glass. Might try that this time.
Egg Crate or small sections of PVC Pipe. Next tank I'm going to try PVC pipe because I like burrower species of fish and don't want to hamper them having a home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store