find cheap lights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryry123

AC Members
Mar 2, 2008
i have a 180 gallon acrylic aquarium that i am working on, (setting up) 6'x2'x2' and i need lighting for it. does anyone know any really cheap lights that you can buy. and i need them to be bright enough right now i have two 18 inch lights on it and it is sad and dark. anyone have any suggestions.:help:

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
How about 3 or 4 4' shoplights with T8 or T12 daylight bulbs...staggered to cover the 6' length? ~$7 each per shoplite at home depot and about $3-4 each per bulb, maybe less. That would give you enough for lo-light plants. I believe they also carry a diamond-plate aluminum shoplight ($20-30) that's a bit more water resistant, if you have an open-top tank.

Not going to get much cheaper than that unless you have a metal halide fixture lying around por nada...and that's not the right shape anyway.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
your better off spending 100 bucks for the dubble high output T-5, 5' set up with one white bulb and one pink buld, thats good enuf for high lighting plants, or you can spend 50 for none high out put witch is good for meduim plants

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
your better off spending 100 bucks for the dubble high output T-5, 5' set up with one white bulb and one pink buld, thats good enuf for high lighting plants, or you can spend 50 for none high out put witch is good for meduim plants
He didnt say he was going to have plants, so thats really unnecesary to deal with HO bulbs and whatnot.

As previously mentioned, your best bet is the shop lights from home depot. I saw a double bulb 4 foot fixture for 15 dollars today.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
ya low light plants

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Shop lights are all I use and have no problems growing almost anything. Overdrive them for even more light. I only use 2 - 32 watt overdriven bulbs on my 90 gallon. I put 4 on it when I build the hood but it was WAY too bright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store