Just bought a new betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sweethoneyjlp86

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
Hi. I just bought a new betta from Petsmart. My other betta died from dropsy. I was just wondering how long it would take for him to get comfortable in his home? I have a 5 gallon and he is in the back at the top. He hasn't explored his tank yet. Is he OK? Thanks and have a good day.

Animallove

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Long Island, New York
Did you accimulate him? I've never had a betta - but I know with many of my new fishies it can take up to a week (sometimes more!)for them to get used to their tank. Just make sure that the tank was completly cleaned out to remove all the dropsyness, and the tank was cycled. Also make sure that the water is the correct temperature (78-82) and there are good water parimaters.

sweethoneyjlp86

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
Yes, I acclumated him and cleaned the dropsy from the tank. The temperature is 80 degrees. I hope he gets better because I have never had a betta that was this scared to explore.

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
If he is made comfortable as far as temperature, adequate hiding places and such, he should begin swimming around and exploring his new home quite soon. I would guess by tomorrow you will see him out and getting around exploring. Is he completely alone? That could mean that he has nothing to make him get up off his dead @@s.

sweethoneyjlp86

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
Ok, so it's day two and he is still in the back. I am starting to think that he likes the back with his face turned away from the front. He seems a little clumsy such as getting stuck in plants and he floats to the top when he is on the bottom. How do I get him to come to the front? Are you sure that he is OK? He isn't swollen or have a big belly. He also seems to hit the glass when he floats towards it. He is floating on top of the water. Is that normal?

Last edited:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Try feeding some bloodworms to coax him to the front. My betta also likes to swim towards the back he likes the background I have up but he also swims around to the front too give him time he will get adjusted soon. Are the plants silk I hope if artificial the plastic ones will rip his fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store