Quiet One Pumps are BAD NEWS.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rascole

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Bellflower, CA
www.randytalsma.com
I just recently lost my 5th. Quiet One 14000 pump in less than 6 months.
I bought 2 from Dr.Foster & Smith in June 2007 and put them in service in late July 2007. Because the first pump went bad after the return limit from DRF&S I had to send it to Pentair Aquatics on my dime. This happened twice. After the third pump went bad they paid for return shipping. This happened 2 more times. I have spoke with them on numerous occasions and they are apologetic but the fact that the pumps die every couple of months is unacceptable.
I spoke with Gene there and he is refunding my money for the pumps, fingers crossed, this week. I have been fortunate that I have not lost any fish or damaged my UV as a result. My 4 Koralia #4s have saved my tank.
I original bought the pumps because I was looking for the quietest pumps out there. My tank is in my family room so silence is golden, tanks should be seen and not heard.
I am looking for a replacement, any suggestions. My friend at the LFS suggested the Dolphin AMP Master ES5500, EFFICIENCY is paramount.
I am looking for @ 2000 to 2500 GPH @ 8' of head.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I just got an Iwaki last week with my new tank. If you go that route make sure you insulate it as much as possible and put rubber pad down before you mount it because the reviews out there are true.. they are LOUD, but very well built and reliable (If you get the Japanese motor, not the US motor, there is a reason it is a $100+ difference). I know that will probably be a turn off for you since silence is one of your deciding factors. I don't know the noise levels of the US motor Iwaki pumps personally, but the reviews seem to state they are not as reliable as the japanese motors. Here is just one comment left about the Iwaki pump on MarineDepot.

This pump is very loud and freaks out the fish. Can be heard throughout the house and outside.
I don't have much to compare to as far as external pumps go though. This Iwaki is my first external, everything else over the years as been internal and silent. My little Rio800 powering my phosphate reactor is actually the loudest pump in my setup.

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
I have a Blue Line. Supposedly designed by the guy that originally designed the Iwaki, but quieter. I've had mine running for 2 1/2 years w/o incident (knock on wood).

rjordan392

AC Members
Jan 17, 2008
To all,
Most pumps will cause some or a lot of resonance adding to the sound when placed on the base flooring of the aquarium. So place something soft under it like a computer pad, sponge etc and this will help.

Harvlis

Registered Member
Jan 29, 2009
Pentair Problem is an Isolated Incident

I am an independent sales rep employed by Pentair. I have sold hundreds of Quiet One pumps, over the past three years. I assure you, their defective rate is extremely low. If it was as bad as you are stating -- I would have abandoned the line, a long time ago.

There is nothing worse than having a defective electronic product. The same thing happened to me with a JVC GPS system. Not a good feeling. It took four different returns, for JVC to give me my money back. So, I feel for you but, it is an injustice to bash the entire line because of your personal situation. We still don't know what you were doing with the pump. Maybe, you were using it improperly. Customers hate to admit that.

As for Gene, he is the nicest person I have ever met. I am positive that, if you dealt with him, you were taken care of to the best of his ability.

I do wish you luck with your next pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store