jd versus jewels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tnoutlaw36

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
stopped at lfs yesterday, they had a tank of jewels. he said they got about 4 inches, if i take my jd back can i get 2 for my tank in sig? thanks

tnoutlaw36

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
if the angel gets moved would 2 jewels get along pretty good? i got the jd for its color imo after seeing the jewels they have the same colors i was after at half the size if i was told right

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
The problem would be if you had a pair of jewels, when spawning; their aggression goes right the way up.

One might be pretty safe; depends on the jewel, and depends on the Angel - how wedded are you to the Angel ? A mated pair of jewels would be fun.

tnoutlaw36

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
the angel came with the tank. i just took the jd back and got 1 jewel for now untill i can move the angel or may just stay with 1 jewel if it gets along with the angel they had prob 20 more. its maybe 2.5 long any way to sex?

derekp

MTS Awareness Member
Nov 11, 2007
I wouldn't put the jewel and the angel in the same tank unless the tank is huge. My jewels are very territorial and chew up anybody who even comes close to them. I would take your angel out if you put the jewel in.

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
I would not get a jewel. Jewel cichlids are mean and will probably kill all your fish when he gets bigger. Jewels get way bigger than 4 inches!!! They get to 8'' to 10"". And kill most of there tankmates.

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
From everything I read about Jewels they don't get that big, but I've stayed clear of them after reading several comments about how mean they are. They are a beautiful fish. If I could be sure of finding one with a decent temperament I'd put one in my 55 with my rainbows after I get a bigger tank.

tnoutlaw36

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
they are good looking fish right now everything in the tank has put it in its place. just left wally world checking on another tank in case i have to move the angel. so far it is the boss [ the angel]. if i need to move it in the next couple days im going to try and get another jewel. then ill have to worry about the cats which have also booted the jewel around so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store