AAAHHHHH ICH!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rcaterin1

Hmmm.. What to say
Jan 12, 2006
edmonton,alberta
this is the first time i have ever had to deal with ich.... i have an tiger oscar and a pleco (common)... the tank is lightly planted (i know the oscar will eventually play lawnmower)... i know i have to increase the heat.. about 85??? and i have read to add some salt... is that advisable??? is there anything else i can do to help with this problem????

thanks

rcaterin1

Hmmm.. What to say
Jan 12, 2006
edmonton,alberta
well things seem to be going well... the fish are tolerating the increased heat... they are still active and are eating like normal... they dont seem to be stressed form the salt treatment.... i have notices that the ich is more pronounced now... it think that ok... means they are almost at the stage where they can be killed... correct me if im wrong on that...

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Go slow. The article provided is a great How-To, to kill off Ich!

By raising the heat you have effectively accelerated their life-cycle, so an initial increase in their population is expected, but should not last long. The purpose for this is so that you can more quickly treat for the Ich during their vulnerable stage in their cycle.

Like I said just go slow. Raising/lowering temps, increasing/decreasing salt concentrations, etc.

Also, a common slip-up is two-fold:
1) Yes, you can continue to do PWCs (in fact it is encouraged)
2) When you do a PWC be sure to add Salt to maintain the salt concentrations removed from the water change.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Also, a common slip-up is two-fold:
1) Yes, you can continue to do PWCs (in fact it is encouraged)
2) When you do a PWC be sure to add Salt to maintain the salt concentrations removed from the water change.
Also, if you do water changes, be sure to go ahead and gravel vac....it will decrease the population as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store