tomato clown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

horner420

AC Members
Feb 27, 2005
SE Pa, 19547
I posted this question in another thread but i think fell through the cracks. Just wanted some advice on my tomato which i've had for four years and two tanks. now i've never seen him do this till just the other day. one of my emeralds was just coming out from under one of the rocks when the tomato saw him half the tank away. he proceeded to swim towards him. i thought to just check him out and then all of a sudden it was a full on beat down:nutkick:. now my clown is pretty big, so it was kind of unfair. he even pick him up in his mouth then spit him out and continued the onslaught. i did not want to but i had to scare him off.

now my question is, my tank quite bare as far as clean up crew due to a crash in my tank. should i try to restock? my fear is that he will do this again to other inverts(clean up crew). i also read that they eat small inverts which for some reason i've never seen anything on this before:confused:. maybe selective reading or something. but they are supposed to be reef safe right, as for a clean up crew? i have had hermits disapear before, could it of been him?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sorry. I'm known for being anti-crab most of the time. I love the looks of a tomato but I avoided them for the generally less aggressive ocellaris. How big is the emerald? Is it still a juvie or an adult? Has it been near anything that the tomato considers a host?

horner420

AC Members
Feb 27, 2005
SE Pa, 19547
emerald is still a juvie. thats the thing though ms. clown seems to take offense to anbody in the entire tank. that's why i move my rock work around. but that did not seem to work to well in breaking her of the territorial stuff.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Quite natural behaviour in my opinion for the clown to do this..All it is doing is protecting its home / territory from potential unwanted guests...They are a more agressive SP. of clown...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Quite natural behaviour in my opinion for the clown to do this..All it is doing is protecting its home / territory from potential unwanted guests...They are a more agressive SP. of clown...
Yup. I have watched them pick up starfish, snails, hermits, urchins, etc. and physically remove them from their "area." If they don't like it, they will attack it and/or move it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store