Few IDs on my new frags please? And Pics & Candy Cane?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
So I swapped my ugly slipper lobster, my thieving decorator crab (kept the spider one though, he just wears leaves) and my nudibranch to a guy in my local reef club yesterday for some frags! Most of them are zoas, but there are a couple I don't know anything about, so thought I'd check here first! Here are some pics!

He called this one cocos and said it's an encrusting coral. It has a hint of pink in it. Will it open up or is this all it does? He also said it spreads fast so I've got it on a nekkid rock that needs something.

What are these?

and will they just look like this or do they open up and get prettier?

what about this one?

I got this Candy Cane almost two weeks ago. When the guy was getting it out of the $5 frag tank, it fell off it's piece of rock, but I got it anyway, because when it was in the tank, it looked really pretty and appeared to be growing new heads. I glued it down to a small rock of mine when I got home and it's never opened up. Is it dead? Is this normal for it to take this long to come out?

I've heard that the $5 frags in this store are just half dead pieces they cut off the big ones that are selling for much more. But I picked out pieces that looked really pretty in the tank, and everything else I've gotten has opened up and seems happy.

and what is this one? It's another $5 frag. This one did take about a week to open up.

Thanks!!!

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
don't tell, don't tell me... the first ones are some yellow green... the last one is aptasia!!!! Yes!!!!!
What? Its not? Oh maaaan.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well the top one could be a few things could you get a better photo? I don't know what the next two photos are but yes the polyps should open more when it is happy. The candy cane looks normal to me, it just hasn't opened it's feeder tentacles there. The last one look like palys...but I'm not sure.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
Does anyone know what these are?
Cough....bump....cough...
LOL Thanks for the bump!

Grins, thank you, I just knew you'd know! I'll try and get a better pic of the first thing. Can't wait to see what all these do, once they get happy in my tank. I took about 3 hours to acclimate them.

Thanks!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Alright, here goes:

1) Top is either a Faviid or Mussid (kinda broad, I know, but we need a better photo. I am leaning toward maybe a washed out Acanthastrea).

2) Left is Pocillopora, while the right appears to be Acropora of some sort.

3) A non-living specimen of Acropora

4) Looks like Caulastrea/trumpet/candy cane

5) Appears to be a small frag of either bleached or simply different colored star polyps.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
4) Looks like Caulastrea/trumpet/candy cane
I knew that, I was asking if it looks dead and if it's normal for a candy to take so long to open up. Tomorrow it's been two weeks since I bought it. It was just a $5 frag, so not too big a deal, I was just wondering.

Thanks for the others!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
The last one looks like something that's been popping up recently around the area where I live. It's just like green star polyps, but are white / pale pink instead. They look neat, but I've heard that they grow and spread even more quickly than green star polyps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store