What's killing my guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the Dregs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Let me start by saying I don't know exactly what my parameters are. I get my water tested by the LFS. The last time I took it in, he told me that it looks great and that my cycle is definitely complete.

My tank is a weird shape. 19" square by 36" deep. 47 gallons. It has 100 watts of PC lighting over it.

Inhabitants are as follows.

about 6-8 guppies (left) 5 females or so. 1 male.
9 neon tetras
4 apple snails
4-6 ghost shrimp
10-20 baby snails of some pest type or another that I kinda like
1 bumblebee goby
1 oto cat.
1 small hermit crab....too small to kill a guppy, he's like 1/2"
a smattering of fry that I think get eaten almost as fast as they are born.

I keep the temp at 72-74
PH is neutral
I had the water slightly brackish at first, but I have been doing two water changes a week for 3 weeks now and I haven't bothered to add any salt because I read that tetras hate it and guppies can do fine without it.

I feed cyclopeeze, sinking wafers, freeze dried medley, and cheap flake food on a rotating basis.

My guppies are disappearing. Mostly my males. I used to have 6, including the 2 Endlers. Now I have only females and the biggest ugliest male. At first I suspected water quality, but I no longer think that is the case. last week I added a beautiful snow white male guppy and 3 tetras. The tetras are all here, the guppy didn't make it through the afternoon.

The problem with my tank is that due to its odd size, extensive rockwork, and planting, I can almost never find a corpse without completely tearing down the setup. I can only hope that the inhabitants take care of any corpses, which is one of the reason I keep a big cleanup crew.

My current theory is that big Mo doesn't want any other guys threatening his posse of women, so he kills any male that comes in the tank. I mean, tetras are more fragile than guppies aren't they? Wouldn't they be affected first, or at least concurrently by water issues?

If this is the case, the guppies are gone. I am not going to have a tank full of ugly betties and one semi-attractive lemon yellow male. I'll just feed them to my turtle and run a couple tetra schools. They are pretty and they get along.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I would suggest you buy your own test kit. API liquid is recommended. Test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Do not rely on your LFS to test the water and make comments about them. If you were never told of the test kit results, then chances are they simply lied to you and your tank may still well be in cycling phase. How long was your tank cycled?

Guppies do not kill each other. I can cross out that theory that your biggest male kills others. They simply will nip but killing is major damage which a guppy cannot accomplish.

What salt did you use? Your tank is not necessarily brackish just by adding aquarium salt. Marine salt does, aquarium salt does not. What was the salinity before if you have managed to determine it?

davidtcb1

AC Members
Aug 20, 2004
Nashville TN area
Yeah, Lupin may be right....some LFS will tell you anything especially in a rush. I'd run the temp at about 78 degrees too.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Is this a part land, part aquatic set-up? How in the world is a hermit crab in there?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Hmm it does seem odd because if it was your water parameters, you'd think the neons and shrimp would go before guppies. But, you never know, I've had some pretty hardy tetras before, so I agree get your own liquid test kit and don't take the LFS' word for it. Other than that, if your water's ok (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 or less) and the guppies are the only ones dying, my guess would be that you are just getting bad stock of guppies. And yeah, I'm confused about the hermit crabs...as far as I know they live most of their lives on land as they grow older...if they don't have access to land they will die within a few months which is sad considering they can live 20 years in captivity.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
The only hermit crabs that can stay submerged for long periods of time are saltwater hermit crabs. The rest need to live on land but must be provided fresh and salt water. Land hermit crabs WILL drown if submerged for their entire life. I'm not sure how long they have until they drown though. I'm a hermit crab keeper myself, I dare not test it out :x I always thought they would drown if left in there for more than an hour at the most....

the Dregs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
sorry, not a hermit crab, a fiddler crab. they like land too, but I didn't find out untill after I added him. He seems so happy.

I don't have the money for a test kit right now, hopefully by this weekend I will.

Also, I forgot to mention the betta. I noticed that some of the guppies tails were getting torn up, so I removed him about 3 weeks ago. Could the male deaths just be delayed after effects of betta bullying? I never saw him do it, it was just a theory.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Fiddler crabs will die much faster if they don't have land either.

But the betta theory is probably the reason to why you're having trouble with guppies. Bettas are vicious when they're aggressive and guppies with long fins are prime targets when grouped with a betta.
When did your guppies start dying, before or after the betta was taken out? If it was after, how long ago?
Fiddler crabs will also snap at fish that they can reach. Doesn't matter how small or big they are, they will still snatch anything they can get their claws on. Maybe the guppies were stressed out? Swim too low, crab will pinch them. Swim above the ground and the betta will see them and attack.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Fiddler crab....even worse.....here's a blurb about them:

"Keeping Fiddler Crabs
The fiddler crabs found in pet stores are most likely semi-terrestrial brackish crabs, which means they need some salt in their water as well as access to air and dry land. Unfortunately, many pet stores keep fiddlers in a freshwater aquatic set up, and recommend the same to new owners. They may do fine in a fresh water and fully aquatic set up for weeks, but will eventually become weak and die. If possible, find a store that keeps them in brackish water, or wait for a new shipment so their time spent in fresh water is minimal. Look for crabs that are active and have all their legs and claws."

Just Google it and you'll find many sites saying the same. Brackish water does NOT mean adding aquarium or table salt to your aquarium, it must be marine salt. However, your other fish will not tolerate brackish water at all. You really must try to rehome the crab, or start a new, brackish tank for him where he will have access to land, otherwise he will surely die.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store