Glass? size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vidrar

AC Members
Jul 24, 2003
ALberta, Canada
Visit site
i'm building my first tank, a corner tank, and was wondering about the thickness of glass i am going to need. I've decided to start with a fairly small tank for my first attempt at building a plywood tank. the actual viewing peice i need measures 32x32 inches, and the actual viewable area is 29x29 inches i beleive. like i said, fairly small. but i'm pricing out what material to actually use on the front face, glass, plexiglass, acrylic.. but a big factor on the price of the material is the thickness, 1/2 inch at most places i would need to special order, and glass i'll need to get the glass shop to cut, but with other ones i can cut myself.

some people tell me 1/4 glass or plexi will be just fine for the size, but i've also been told if the tenk is over 18 inches high that you can't use 1/4 inch and need to go with 1/2 inch or more.

anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
you need to use 1/2" tempered glass, or 5/8" untempered.

Glass tank manufacturers will use 1/2" untempered up to 30" high

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I agree you would need 1/2 The higher the tank the thicker the glass, I ready a guide on dubiosi.com that to 18"H 1/4 was of from 18"-22" 3/8" and 1/2" for anything above that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store