Anubias Nana Bloomed, whats all the hairy stuff?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
moved from the newbie thread, as I realized that there was a plant specific thread:

Hi guys!

I'm new to all this aquarium stuff all over again, so I'm posting as a newbie (I had a tank when I was a kid/preteen, but that was a few years ago...)

I've had my tank (29 gal, w/ 2 bio wheel minis, stocked with 6 neon tetras, 3 guppies, 1 snail that I bought, and a few that came in plants) set up since about november. It's got layered flourite/gravel base, 2 4 ft plant bulbs suspended inches above the top of the aquarium (which also acts as a plant light for my some of my houseplants) and I've just upgraded a DIY CO2 system to the nutrafin CO2 system with the ladder just to get a cleaner, slicker looking system (plus, it was on clearance at my LFS for $15!! as opposed to $40-$45 everywhere else). I don't care for the nutrafin packets, so I'm using the standard diy recipe. SO ON TO THE QUESTION...

I've been successful at getting plants to grow, and algae to not. But I noticed that my Anibias Nana has bloomed (pretty!) and the spadix (I think thats what it is) has a number of short, ~1cm, hairs coming off of it. I don't know what this is. I assume that it's normal, but I've never had any anubias before..

I guess I will know either way in a week or so, as there are 2 more flowers on their way, but any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Sounds normal to me. Some plants have an outer "peach fuzz." Congratulations on a successful tank! :clap:

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Looks to me like the core has opened for pollination.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Looks like fungus to me... :lipssealedsmilie: Mine never did that.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
no, no change really.. just fuzzy. it caught some fish poop yesterday evening.. that was different.

fungus on nothing in my planted tank except for on 1 new bloom seems just as strange as the fact that I've got a hairy flower.

creoguy

AC Members
Jan 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Mine did the exact same thing. Was having a hair algae outbreak at the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store