Starting a 55gal saltwater.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dolcemezzanote

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2008
Central, CT
I have experience in small saltwater tanks and have a 55gal tank previously used for cichlids that I will be converting into a saltwater tank ******cichlids for sale if in CT area, 4-6 inches*********I have more experience with small saltwater tanks i.e. 5-20gal. but not 55. Does anyone have any advice, stocking idea's, I have no intentions of adding corals so non-reef safe fish are ok.... any idea on how much live sand/rock should be used in such a large tank.

Thanks

55gal brackish, 2 black belts, 3 jack dempseys, 1 spotted pleco, 1 african cichlid(breed unknown).

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Typical rule of thumb for a FOWLR tank is 1-2lbs of live rock per gallon. Sand, I recommend enough to make 4-6" depth, but that is just personal preference in order to have all the good bacteria doing its job in the sand. Whatever you do, do NOT put any type of tang in that tank. Usually non-reef safe fish are larger than normal SW fish.. there are exceptions, but not too many. I can't think of too many non-reef safe fish that would work well in a 55G.

I would stick with clowns, cardinals, gobies, blenny, dwarf angels, and small wrasses to name a few. Try and avoid damsels as they are very mean and territorial. I recommend checking out liveaquaria.com and marinedepotlive.com for ideas, then come back and ask specific questions about fish you like to make sure they will be ok.

What are your filtration plans? If you use the rock as filtration try and get in the 2lb per gallon range, then you don't need a filter, just a protein skimmer.

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I have a 55 gallon sw tank, its a good size imo. mine is fowlr

I noticed in your sig that you have two puffers in the 10 gallon as a temp home. Are you going to put them in the 55? What kind are they?

I agree with Ace with the no damsels, I had one in my 55 and had to get him out because he was harassing all my fish.

dolcemezzanote

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2008
Central, CT
Won't be adding corals just live rock.... about 68 lbs and 3-4" of live sand. How does a protein skimmer work???? The Domino damsel is getting a new home tonight Before i feed him to my neighbor's cat. He's nasty lol.

dolcemezzanote

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2008
Central, CT
SPOCK~ I have one figure 8 puffer and one spotted figure 8.... They are Sparx and Marx. Bought them from my fish ppl... they were together in sw.... When I brought them home they went into a freshtank but didnt do as well so they are now back in sw. They love it.... my female should be having lil' baby puffs soon... Can't wait.... I need to get the other fish out of their tank so she can get cozy enough to have them and not kill them. I am not familiar with breeding puffs, this was unexpected, I didn't think the two breeds would mix. I am experienced in breeding cichlids and mollies, but not puffs... Do you have any tips???? Want any babies? lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store