Richordias out of control. Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ok, they were cool at first, but I guess I am doing something right because I have 2 HUGE ones, over 6" across in my tank, and now each one is spitting out a baby every couple days. They remind me of the time I tried some green hairy mushrooms that were shrunk up at the LFS and after a week in my tank I had several 8" huge mushrooms and had to give them to my neighbor because they wouldn't fit in my 29G. The richordias multiplying has increased quite a bit since adding more T5HO lights. They leave a piece of their foot behind, move an inch or so, and repeat. My tank is starting to turn into a richordia jungle.

So, question is, how can I slow down the process? How can you remove a richordia from the rock without damaging it? Why are mine multiplying like crazy? I grabbed 1 richordia from his tank years ago.. now he only has one in his tank and I have what seems like 100 now from the 1 I took from him a few years ago. Why can't my other "nicer" corals/zoas spread as fast as these things do. LOL.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Try to aim a powerhead directly at the base. This will usually make them and their relatives drop off. Of course, cutting them at the stalk is an option--they'll recover fast enough, but they won't like you for a while.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
SEND SOME TO ME! corals are very expensive here and im a poor high school senior desperate for some corals! :( i'll pay you for shipping and a moderate price if you wish... like I said they are very expensive here so any offer will probably be cheaper than the prices they charge up here.

Last edited:

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
"oh no my rics are growing to fast" thats like saying "man i wish my hair would stop growing" lmao i agree with grins, just frag some off and start raising them. rics aren't cheap as i am sure you know. then you could trade them for other stuff. you can frag them in the same manner as a regular mushroom. they dont recover as easily as reg shrooms though. as far as slowing there growth? no clue without affecting the other tank inhabitants

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah man just post in the frag trade forum, or sell them...if you do, sign me up.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Heck sell them on ebay.. Use them for trade with your local store if they'll take them.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ya, I am looking to completely remove a lot of them so the powerhead option sounds like the best one. If I cut them more than likely the base left behind will grow back into a few more. The one in the top right was my original ric. It has gone down the rocks, to the left, and back up to where that other giant one is. Last night when the lights were out and they shrunk up I notice what looked like 50 little babies ones under the bigger ones.. they are everywhere. I wish I could count them all, but no exageration, there has to be over 100 total.

If they were a better color I wouldn't mind as much. The one on top, its foot is so stretched out in all directions about the break another 6 babies off at any time, has now moved over to my nice zoa rock and is starting to split and the babies taking over the zoas. That was the point when I said ok, they are getting out of control and I need to do something.

Dang you Blossom and Woodright.. My lights go out on my tank at 11pm.. I was up till 12:30 looking at my tank and I have to get up for work at 5am.. you two are a bad influence. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store