Shy Kole Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
My dad has gotten another Kole Tang. His first two eventually died after several months each. This latest one is exhibiting the same shy behavior, hiding away even after a month, and not eating with the others at feeding time. He spends his time grazing on algae on the tank walls; he seems to have no interest in the live rock. Should we put a piece of lettuce or something else in there for him to feed on?
BTW, we've never had much luck with a succession of Bicolor Angels, either. Are they particularly hard to keep?
Thanks for the help.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The bicolor angels are typically very difficult, kole tangs are not at all. It is odd that you are having trouble with it eating anything else. They usually take to prepared foods pretty easily. It isn't odd, however, that it is targeting the glass, since these tangs are actually specialized at eating diatoms, which tend to concentrate on the glass. If there are recurring problems, I would either suspect water quality or thesource of the tangs.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
75 gal tank. There is a 6-line wrasse, Royal Gramma, Purple Dottyback, Twinspot Hogfish, Coral beauty, Blue Tang, two Cinamon Clowns, Yellowtail Blue Damsel, Tobaco Bass, Redspotted Hogfish, Foxface Rabitfish, and an Eibl's Angel, besidel the Kole Tang.

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Tackful, that seems like a lot of fish for a 75 gal. I can spot at least 2 probable aggressive fish and a couple that most would not recommend in a 75 gallon at all. It would not surprise me that a Kole tang (one of the shyest of the tang family) is stressed out by the rest of the tank's population.

That said, try spirulina flakes to get it to eat. I got my own Kole, as well as 2 others, to eat using spirulina flakes. Now they'll accept anything!

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Tackful, that seems like a lot of fish for a 75 gal. I can spot at least 2 probable aggressive fish and a couple that most would not recommend in a 75 gallon at all. It would not surprise me that a Kole tang (one of the shyest of the tang family) is stressed out by the rest of the tank's population.

That said, try spirulina flakes to get it to eat. I got my own Kole, as well as 2 others, to eat using spirulina flakes. Now they'll accept anything!
Wow. You said it. I'd be concerned about long term space/territoriality problems as well as water quality problems, especially in the long term.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The dottyback/basslet, the clowns, the mixed angels and the damsel are pretty aggressive. Combine the angels and the tang, and you have added aggression toward other herbivores. With those packed in there, it wouldn't surprise me if the tang wouldn't attempt to eat. You also need to keep a very close eye on water quality.

Not to be mean to your dad, but you just need to be blunt and straightforward about it--as in "If you don't stop putting fish in, they are going to die and/or kill eachother. Please don't do it anymore unless you ask me first." Honestly, I would try to thin out that population a bit. It would spare you some headaches.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Yeah, I think so. I shall force him to read this. Regarding water quality, I test it for him when I can (every two weeks or so), and ammonia and nitrites are always zero, nitrates between 10 and 20 just before our 20 gal water change with RO water every 20 days. However, the salinity always drops due to evaporation and he doesn't add any water to make up for it. Could that fluctuation be involved?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store