Starfish Tip falling off ( carpet anemone woes )

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the1x1factor

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Hi... i have red starfish... recently i saw that its tips are becoming white and falling of... is this natural or some kind of diesease... i am woriied furthermore beacuse my my wrasses has started picking on it now and then.... i have temprarily moved it my sump tank.

Some yime back my blue carpet anemone had caught hold of the star fish... i luckily saw it and removed it from its cluctches... idont know if that would have caused any infection....

The carpet anemon recently killed a sea urchin... and i have doubt its had killed a new bi-colored angel recently introduced to the tank... it was hiding real close to where teh caret anemone is placed...

I am wondering now whether i should give up on the carpet anemone.... it looks gr8 in turquoise blue..

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The wrasse could be what ate the tips off to begin with. Many are natural predators of stars. Blue carpets are pretty aggressive anemones. Bi-colors are very difficult to keep alive, not for beginners.

I really don't mean this in an ugly way, but may I ask how long you've been keeping the tank? If you had a tank before? How large it is? It sounds like maybe you just need to do a bit more research before stocking your tank in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store