10 gal sump and fuge for a 10 gal dt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

donk18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Blacklick, Ohio
i am setting up a 10 sump and fuge on my 10 gallon tank. they have to sit side by side. i was just wondering if i get a hole drilled in my main tank about 2 inchs from the top and i drill my sump 2 inchs from the bottom, would this cause a syphon effect to drain into the sump. i think this is the only way i can do it with out having to buy an extra pump. any advice or designs that any one has would be great help. thanks

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If they are sitting side by side (on the same level) and the water level is the same in both tanks, there will be no siphoning action. If there's a pump in the sump that's moving water from the sump to the display tank, your plan for drilling will act just like a regular drain, but it's technically not siphoning water from the one to the other. It'll be important to make sure that the pump moving the water from the sump to the display is not too large for the diameter of the drain, in order to keep from moving water from the sump to the display faster than it can drain back to the sump.

donk18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Blacklick, Ohio
yeah there will be a pump moving the water back to the main tank. it is a 365gph and i can reduce the flow if needed. so this idea will work then. correct???

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Yep, it'll work, as long as the drain is properly sized. A 1" drain is rated for roughly 600 gph. I don't know about the ratings for 3/4" or 1/2" drains, but surely someone else on the forum does. While it's always good to have a slightly larger than required drain, a 1" bulkhead will seem quite large in a 10g tank, so I'd go with a smaller one if you find that you're able to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store