Aggressive Algae Eater...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
:help:I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 dwarf frogs, 1 agae eater, 1 snail and 4 guppies. My algae eater has been pestering my snails like crazy. One died last week and now I am worried about the other one.

I heard a clicking noise from my tank and there was the snail getting knocked against the glass by the algae eater. At first I just thought he was cleaning the snail's shell, but then one of the snails died.

Now I have noticed the algae eater bossing the adult female guppies around. For some reason it is leaving the juvenile guppies alone.

I have heard that algae eaters can become more aggressive as they mature, and also that they tend to quit cleaning algae and begin to prefer fish food instead. So far my guy is still a cleaning machine.

Is there anything I can do to keep my snail safe?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
If it is a Chinese Algae Eater (which it sounds like it is), you should get rid of it. As they get older they become very aggressive and they grow up to 10 inches, far too large for a 10 gallon tank.

lymabean

They're after me lucky charms!
Dec 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
Ok question. What kind of algae eater? That term is as specific as saying "a Fish". If its agression, then you might want to consider a larger tank. And if you have a chinese algea eater, then you picked a bad "algae eater". Agression galore.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
I believe it is a Chinese Algae eater. I have a friend with a very large tank that will probably adopt it. Any suggestions for what I should add to the tank to eat the algae?
THANKS!

donthitmyhead

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Canada
I use siamese algae eaters, nerite snails, amano shrimps, otos, and american flag fish to get rid of algae of all sorts. They work great!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if you are having an algae problem in the tank you need to identify the cause rather than covering up the problem with algae eaters which just aggravate the issue by adding more to the bioload. more waste = more algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store