Clowns Hosting in Brains, and other Corals. Experience question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Have had my ocellaris pair since last September. My open brain was added about 5 weeks before them. The clowns never showed any interest in anything other than one of the Koralias and a corner of the tank when it came to seeking a host.

But of course, in my re-aquascape this week the fish thought they were in a new ocean and they have all gone nuts. The cleaner goby is now cleaning fish as well as hanging out in the brain coral. The clowns are also trying to adopt the brain coral. This sounds all well and good to some, but I wasn't wild about the idea when I first saw Wilma inspecting the brain.

This was the first morning of it, and I've shared it before (sorry it is fuzzy but without a DSLR any photo with a clown in my tank seems to come out blurred)

The brain there in the photo is only about 1/2 inflated as it typically would be when the MHs are on. I've been keeping an eye on it and I've seen it a bit more inflated than that, and lots less as well. Never 100% and even deflated as it would at night this evening about 2 hours before lights off.

The neon goby is still checking it out, but Wilma is the worry. She definitely is in love with this brain. She is feeding it, she is cuddling with it, she is rubbing all over it. The woman is in lust as poor Fred looks on from nearby.

So after seeing what clowns have done to leathers and a few other corals that aren't natural hosts I'm a bit concerned.

For those that have clowns hosting in corals what are your experiences? Did you ever notice a period of adjustment where they perhaps adapted to the constant rubbing and then would go back to inflating or whatever their normal state was during daylight? I'd like to keep the brain where it is, and I don't want to do a complete re-aquascape but if the outlook looks bad I'll try relocating the brain and then if that doesn't work go through another scape (and probably more hives) again.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i would think that of all corals the brain would be best able to deal with wilma's advances :) that being said if she is anything like my "clarkii" these affections can get quite forceful. i guess i'd just give it a week or so and see if the brain starts to warm up to her at all. unfortunately now if you move it she'll probably just move with it...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It can take a while, but most corals will actually become accustomed to this behavior. So long as they aren't overly forceful, as salty420 said, then it shouldn't be a problem. At the old shop, a leather didn't like a particular longnosed hawkfish in the main display, but became accustomed to its perching after a couple weeks. Just observe it and see how it goes from there.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I was hoping I'd hear that because it matches what I've been doing so far. These two were adopting a huge finger leather when I adopted them but I opted not to get it. They had about turned it unrecognizable from all their "love". It is nice seeing their behavior so I'll hope that the brain takes to it. I did catch Honda (the lawnmower) chase them and Pip (neon goby) away from it today. Either he wants to adopt it as well or he is just playing tank dad.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Am I the only one that thinks it is cool that after she rescaped the behaviour of her fish changed? I think the cleaner goby behavour changing is really neat.

Sorry though, I can't offer any experience myself with clowns hosting in corals. Hopefully it works out ok for the brain.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I think it is pretty darn amazing too actually..lol. I had actually been bored with the neon goby, 3 months of doing nothing but hanging out on the back glass and swimming along the back side of the rocks a little had grown dull for a tiny $20 fish. One day of re-scape, lights come on and poof...fish are cleaning one another, picking out hosts, porcelain crab doubles in size, brittlestar starts showing his leg looking for food towards evening. It is a whole new tank in a way.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
I have had clowns and other gobies host in Euphyllia sp. and large wellsi brains before.
The corals are resilient enough to with stand them. However, constant rubbing by overactive clownfish can cause the corals to become irritated and develop a brown jelly bacterial infection. You will have to gauge if their relationship is working or not. If not, then an appropriate anemone should fix the problem.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
How long does it usually take a clown to host anything? My 2, like yours Grins, hover above one of my Koralias after lights out

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The clown isn't the host, but I know what you mean. In your case they did adopt a host...the powerhead. I've seen a maroon dive immediately into an anemone when first going into a tank, I've heard of ocellaris never giving up a chosen corner of the tank, and then there are clowns like mine that all of a sudden decide to change things up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store