How many Damsels to add???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snoogans

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Hi guys

Am thinking of adding some Yellowtail Damsels to my tank (basically need more fish and monies tight). I have a 200L (55g i think) with 1 clown and some mushrooms/helifungia.

Have read that of the Damsels, yellowtails are less aggressive than other types. My clown has been in the current setup for 4 months so territory established. His fellow clown dissapeared while I was on holidays and he was quite aggressive towards it, so think he can handle himself

How many should I be adding? Was thinking 2-3. Also, will this restrict what else I can add at a later date?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Well, I don't like any damsels personally, but my neighbor has had a yellow tail in his 75G without any major problems for 4 years now. It can be a bully at times, but not as bad as most damsels. He added a Lunare wrasse about 6 months ago and since then the damsel has been an angel. The wrasse put the damsel in check real fast.

I don't think I would add more than 1 though because they will be territorial with each other and you may have collateral damage to other fish just for being near by.

Snoogans

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Have read mixed reviews on aggressiveness. Maybe only one is the best option. Am thinking of adding a goby to help shift my sand around. Will there be any issues adding him after the damsel?

Snoogans

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I should add was thinking of yellow watchman. (colour is merely coincidence, don't have a think for yellow in particular)

sostoudt

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2008
ur clown should be ok after all it is a type of damsel unless its a false perc then it could possible have problems, but i wouldnt worry about it the yellow tails stay really small. the striped and 3 spot damsel not so much get pretty big . but i wouldnt recommend a damsel i tell u to get a tang or something more interesting. trust me when i say ull run out of available room for fish in a 55 pretty quick

Snoogans

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
want a tang get quite big for my tank? Read you need 70g minimum

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ya, you can't really put a tang in there. But ya, a yellow watchman should be fine. My neighbor has had his yellow watchman for 5 years now, first fish he bought, and added the damsel a year later and both have never bothered each other.

Nhrafan26

Off and on user
Mar 2, 2008
I have 2 blue ones in my tank right now to see how they do. Health-wise they are doing great. Getting along is an entirely different story.
One is constantly bullying the other so much that it hides in the corner behind the water tube all day long.
I am building a fish trap to catch him and get him out and back to the LFS tomorrow or asap.
Actually that's why I'm here checking things out... I'm letting the silicone set up on the parts of the trap I have together already. Just need the back put on and then a door.
I don't know if I just got an overly aggressive one or what but he is relentless with chasing the other one back into its corner if it comes out to swim around.

Hopefully the bully will be gone tomorrow.

Snoogans

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
How big is your tank Nhrafan

Nhrafan26

Off and on user
Mar 2, 2008
75 Gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com