Pangasius Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newfishguy

AC Members
Feb 28, 2008
Hey everyone, just have a quick question. I went to petsmart yesterday and bought 3 pangasius catfish. At the store it said that it only grew to 12 inches max. Then I go home and figure out it grows to be a monster. I only have a 55 gal tank at the moment but am planning to build a 180 gal real soon. What would you recomend me do? I havent checked back to the store to see if they will take it back. But they are really cool fish, so energetic little buggers. They are 1.5 - 2 inches at the current moment.

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
I doubt if 180 gallons would be anywhere near big enough long-term for three of them; I've never kept them but they've got a reputation of being really nervous as they get bigger, crashing into the sides of the tank at the least disturbance. Having three might quieten them down a bit but they do get SERIOUSLY big- there's a campaign in the UK to stop them being imported due to their size.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Pangassius.htm

The only thing i don't agree with here is the average size and the preference for stunting these fish although i understand why it is an issue. . . obviously you can see that they easily get bigger and you can read other people's experiences with their fish

carlyleigh

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
I have 2 of this cuties and have done for around 1.5 years they are currently around 4.5 inches and are fab fish..... I am aware they can get very large but some dont.... I have mine in a 55 Uk Gallon and are very happy but when/if they grow I will go large (tank that is)

By the way are fab fish avoid sharp objects in your tank with lots of planting to avoid damage... I haven't had any injuries touch wood but they do batter around like demons.... Good Luck with yours...

newfishguy

AC Members
Feb 28, 2008
Ya I've already noticed that they just act like pin balls. They are so cool to watch swim. What do you feed them btw? Ive been giving mine tropical flakes and brine shrimp.

carlyleigh

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
Aint they just...LOL My guys will eat just about anything.... Fish Flakes, Brine Shrimps, Bloodworms they adore, Catfish Pellets, Cucumber , Peas god do they like them....

Anything and at feeding time it is like a pirhana attack very funny....they also now take stuff out of my hand especially chunks of tubiflex that my AFC's love....

I added a piccie of one of my boys aint he a cutie....LOL

IMG_4334a.jpg

Last edited:

newfishguy

AC Members
Feb 28, 2008
Sweet fish. You had him for 1.5 years and hes still only 4.5 inches? Well that eases my discomfert about them getting big fast. How do you prepair the cucumber and peas for the little guys?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
How big of a tank would I need to house them when they get adult size?
For a fish that grows to 3 feet and requiring company, a 600g would be the minimum. That fish is hardly an aquarium fish and should be banned fvrom the trade IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store