IS MY ALBINO CORY PREGNANT? please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SwedishFish

FiSH FrEaK
May 25, 2003
Visit site
ok i went to my friends house and when i came back one out of the 2 albino cories was way bigger and has a bulging belly and i can see a black spot where i think the eggs might be?:confused: Or did my cory just grow? any help would be helpful :) I hope she is pregnant if so how do care for the babies will the parents eat them or will the betta ? they are in a 10g with 1 betta 2 albino cories. should i remove the betta?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
First off, check your water and make sure her scales aren't raised on her abdomen...just rule out dropsy. Next, if your possitive she is egg laden, and your betta's a real hunter, then you may want to remove him...or provide plenty of hiding places... other than that, I don't really know much about cories.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Sound slike your cory just has a belly full of air. Often cory cats will go to the surface and grab a big gulp of air and the bubble will sit in their stomach until it somehow get digested. Very common. And there is generally a black area on mine when he does this.

<><FunSize><>

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I have some albinos and what they do is they get really pink round the bottom end them they ley eggs EVERYWHERE on the glass they will not eat the eggs but any other fish in the tank will pick at them if there are no other fish in the tank just let her lay them and they will hatch min of 24 hours max of 3days depending on the temp 26 degrees in optimmum and they should hatch at about 24 hours and yeah they best food i found was some pwdered food called sera micron plus a well aged tank with heaps of carp in the gravel hope this help

As for yours i don't think it is pregante

The male is Longer and thinner than the female where the female is fat and stumpy

they betta may eat the eggs and fry i don'y really know what it is but mine layed over 100 eggs so i don't think it would be able to eat them all

GOOD Luck

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
To forestall any possible confusion, may I mention the obvious point that when the female is ready to deposit her eggs, there must be a male present to fertilize them? Most fishes are not ever "pregnant" in the sense that a livebearing guppy or a livebearing shark can be called "pregnant."

SwedishFish

FiSH FrEaK
May 25, 2003
Visit site
:D

there is a male present and her belly has become bigger there is a bulge on the bottom of her :D i bought some more bronze cories the same size as the albinos today :D Since albino cories are the albino form of the bronze cories. My book says when the albino cories are pregnant they become barrel shaped (which mine is) if its not pregnant then it sure looks like it . Oh well i was hoping to have some baby cories since they are so easy to breed. ;) and i dont believe my cory swallowed air and inflated itself.

Dwarfnut

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
This does kinda sound like they may be getting ready to have eggs... I have a pair of albino Cories that have laid eggs several times and they seem to get fat for 10 or 12 days before they lay eggs and then they just kinda explode and lay them all over the tank!!

I would like to hear if you have any success getting them to hatch and then survive, I've just lost the last of the third batch of eggs and fry. I think mine have all starved to death as none of the traditional fry foods seem to work. On the first batch, I let them go into the tank after hatching and they all soon disappeared and it looked like the Mom and Dad Cories were hunting for them in the gravel! I only have 3 Bolivian rams in the tank with them and lots of hiding places. but Cories are good at digging for food.

Please keep me posted as I figure I have about a month beofre they lay eggs again!

Bill C.

SwedishFish

FiSH FrEaK
May 25, 2003
Visit site
oh so it takes 10-12 days no wonder its taking so long
yeah the female looks i will keep you posted about how they are doing. Will the parents actually hunt the babies?

Dwarfnut

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
As wetman said, sometimes a water change with cooler water can get them to spawn. Or, I heard a tip to unplug the heater for one night, then resume in the morning and again, simulate the start of the wet season in the wild.

And yes, it's been my experience that Cories have no paternal instincts and will eat their own babies after they hatch and fall to the gravel.

Bill C.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store