stocking my 35g- fishless cycle is almost done!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
Well, it's been nearly three weeks since I statrted cycling this tank using Bio-Spira/ammonia. My Nitrites have peaked and are on their way down and my Nitrates are rising past 30ppm.

I think the cycle will complete this week.

I plan on stocking with the following:

6- Black Skirt Tetras
4- Red Wag Platy
2- MM Platy
8- Red Tux Guppies (male)
2- Sunset Coral Dwarf Platy

Any suggestions on compatibility or stocking level are appreciated.:help: Too much? This is my first tank.

I would like to know if it's best to buy them all at once and place in tank, or a few at a time?

Thanks

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
That's an attractive mix of platies you have there. I might double either the Mickey Mouse or the Sunet platies and eliminate the other, but that's just personal taste.

Regarding how many to buy, I've read that, in a fishless cycle, once your tank is ready you change 90% of the water (to eliminate the built up nitrates) and then add all your fish at once, since your bacteria colony is now ready to handle it.

But, don't take my word for it. Go back and (re)read the fishless cycling thread here at AC to double check. It never hurts to do extra research. :read:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
yep presuming you are seeing 4ppm ammonia go to nitrate over 24 hours, you can add your full stocking in one go, following a 90% water change.

I don't know about your proposed stocking - I have no personal experience of this size tank & those kind of fish

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
IMHO, I think you should take your time at it, and space it by a few days. I wouldn't get so many platies, because you're going to wind up with fry, unless you get all male. Females will already be pregnant.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i think you sould do some rams on the bottom, like a trio of bolivian rams or golds

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
IMHO, I think you should take your time at it, and space it by a few days. I wouldn't get so many platies, because you're going to wind up with fry, unless you get all male. Females will already be pregnant.
Fry shouldn't be a problem as I believe they'll be eaten by other tank mates, No?

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
i say get 4 platies, and then skip the other top dwellers and get some more tetras and some corydoras.

Hmm, don't forget you're talking to a "neophyte/noob" here..... What other "top dwellers" are you referring to?

More Tetras? More Black Skirt Tetra's? If so, how many more?

Does anyone want to comment on the stocking level? Do I have too many fish for a 35g?

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Does anyone want to comment on the stocking level? Do I have too many fish for a 35g?
I think a 35g will easily support the fish you listed. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store